Prologue

Law's POV

"How come this place doesn't have a single bookshop?" I thought, starting to feel frustrated.

I had been almost an hour now looking for a bookshop. A ghost bookshop apparently. I tried asking the villagers, but they seemed to be wary of pirates and all I got were scared and hateful glares. Except for an old woman who told me there was an only bookshop in the whole island. She explained where could I find it, but after looking for it everywhere, I concluded that shop didn't exist anymore, since the island wasn't that big. It was rather tiny, in fact. There was a medical book I needed, but it would have to wait until we arrived to the next island.

I turned around, deciding I had enough. It was time to get back to the submarine and leave this ridiculous place.

CRASH!

"WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING, STUPID BRAT?"

"What am I doing you say?! I'M SICK OF YOU! I'm NOT a damn slave you can insult, hit and order around as you wish! You crazy MUMMY!"

"Don't raise your voice to me! Ungrateful bug! I always took care of you! How you dare yelling at me?!"

"You took care of me? You did nothing but use me as your maid! You just gave me a place to stay, but you know? It's not worth it. It's not worth swallowing your mistreatment! I've had enough!"

"Come back here, (Y/N)! I'll show you what is worth!"

"DON'T TOUCH ME, YOU WITCH!"

I witnessed in curiosity as a young woman came out from the house where the fight had originated.

"Don't follow me! I'm done with you! I prefer dying in the streets from starvation better than keep enduring this damn life! Go look for another slave you can exploit!"

I didn't have time to see this 'crazy mummy'  before the girl slammed the door and ran away from the house towards my location. I caught a glimpse of her face moments before she collided with me, too angry to notice my presence earlier. "Oh, I'm sorry, I'm very sorry. I didn't see you." She looked at me for a moment with teary eyes.

She tried to dodge me to keep with her run, but I stopped her by grabbing her arm. "Have we met before?" I asked studying her features. Her face felt very familiar, but I couldn't pinpoint why.

"I-I don't think so." I saw a hint of fright in her eyes as she turned her head to look at the house, making sure nobody came out to chase after her.

I knew she was telling me the truth. But something told me I was right too. I got a strange feeling every time I looked at her face. "Join my crew." I blurted out before I could stop myself. I didn't know what was wrong with me. I just had this strange feeling I couldn't describe, and the certainty I knew this girl. I couldn't leave without her.

"What? Crew? No! I don't even know you." She shook her arm to free it from my grasp and gave a step back.

She didn't know me? Just in what kind of hole had she been living all this time? "My name's Trafalgar Law, captain of the Heart Pirates. You're (Y/N), right?"

"How do you-?"

"I heard the mummy calling you when you were yelling at each other."

I saw the corner of her lips almost turning into a smile when she heard me using the name she had given to the woman she was trying to escape from.

"Join my crew," I repeated, feeling more confident this time.

She opened her mouth to reject me again, but just then, the door of the house busted open and a big, fat woman came out waving a rolling pin, her face red and angry.

"Come back here, little rat! I have a lesson to show you!" she growled approaching us.

"All right, all right, I'll join. Just get me out of here, please," she pleaded with desperation.

I smirked and raised my hand. "Room." I placed my other hand on her shoulder and teleported us to my sub's deck. "Welcome to the Heart Pirates, (Y/N)-ya."