Chapter 16

(E/C) = eye color

You checked on the clock for the zillionth time that night. You couldn't see too much in the dark but it seemed it was around two o'clock. You didn't really manage to sleep, feeling the need to check on the kid every millisecond. He was calmly sleeping, but you noticed an hour ago his fever was rising.

You checked on his forehead once again. He was hotter than the last time. Too hot for your liking. "Time to go for the thermometer," you thought, sitting up. That's when you realized you were trapped between the two Laws. It was going to be difficult to get up without waking them. Well, you would try.

You started by slowly taking out your legs from under the blankets, trying to not uncover the other two tenants. Once you were out, you crawled to the end of the bed. But you accidentally rested your knee on Law's leg.

You cursed under your breath. Maybe if he didn't sleep sprawled all over the bed...

"(Y/N)-ya?" he whispered, still dozy. He sat up, looking at you.

"I'm sorry. I didn't want to wake you. Law's fever is increasing. I wanted to go for the thermometer," you explained in very low voice.

"Don't worry, I'll go. Stay here," he stood and silently left the room.

You went to his desk to turn on the light so you could see without disturbing the kid, and waited beside the bed with your arms crossed.

Law returned shortly after with the thermometer and took the kid's temperature. It was pretty high. "He hasn't taken paracetamol yet, right?"

"No. The fever stayed low and he looked fine," you informed.

"Okay. I'll go for it. You wake him up." He placed the thermometer on his desk and left the room again.

"Law," you gently called the child, placing a hand on his arm with delicacy.

He opened his eyes and looked at you in confusion, his eyes clouded by the fever.

"Your fever is too high, honey. You have to take the medicine."

"I don't want that bitter medicine again," he whined.

"It's another one. This one is not bitter, I promise," you soothed him placing a hand on his warm cheek.

"I don't feel well," he whined with a pout.

"I know sweetie. The medicine will help you," you muttered, stroking his face.

"You have a Bepo on your head," he commented with a weak smile.

You blinked in puzzlement.

At that moment, Law came back with a glass full of water, the medicine already dissolved in it. He sat on the bed and helped the kid to drink it. Once the glass was emptied, the child lay his head on the pillow and closed his eyes. Law placed a wet, fresh cloth you hadn't noticed before on his forehead and moved away the blanket, leaving the child covered with the bed sheet only.

"He said I have a Bepo on the head," you told him in a whisper.

"The fever can cause hallucinations. Don't worry about it," he brushed it aside.

"You can go back to sleep, I'll take care of him," you offered, but he shook his head.

"If you don't sleep, neither do I," he stated. He would have told you to go to sleep as he watched the kid, but he knew you would emphatically refuse.

You sat next to him on the bed. "He already has that illness, doesn't he? The Amber Lead Syndrome," you whispered with a tint of sadness in your voice.