ACT TWO / still need you

<EDITED ON FEBRUARY 3>

(i changed the ending. i think this'll allow for a more neutral romance subplot lmao)

this one is SUPER long because i decided that one chapter would be better than two chapters.

-

Meliodas launched himself at Drole. Drole was injured, but there was massive power and intent behind his strikes. Meliodas easily blocked his blows, delivering a fierce uppercut to Drole's jaw. Blood exploded from his nose and mouth.

Meliodas drew his sword, his eyes dark. Drole attempted to attack; with a casual strike, Meliodas dismembered both of Drole's left arms. Drole stumbled but remained standing.

"He's...terrifying," you muttered.

Drole hummed and sampled some of his blood. "You anticipated this, huh?"

"I've been waiting for this moment. For the chance to land a definite blow!"

"Chance?" Howzer repeated.

"If I attacked you head-on by myself, you'd both definitely be on guard, right? Under those circumstances, even I would definitely lose. To get you to drop your guard, I came here as a participant looking to have fun with his comrades. Naturally, I never mentioned that to them. Your Magical Eye can see through any ploy, after all."

Drole glared at Meliodas.

"And then all I had to do was wait for you guys to leave yourselves exposed. Escanor created the perfect opportunity."

Meliodas' words held a level of detachment you had never heard. He was going further and further from the Meliodas that you knew now. You hesitated to say he was like the Meliodas from the past, but...

Moon Rose grew over Gloxinia. He glowed with a magical light, his injuries healed.

"I see," Drole said. "I admit that it would've been a struggle for us, too, if we'd been forced to battle you one-on-one. However, you've made one fatal mistake."

Drole moved his hands in a jerking motion. "Gigant Embrace!"

His arms went at a diagonal. The ground shook, and you grabbed onto Howzer. "What the hell?" you demanded.

Drole clasped his hands together. The arena followed his movements, tossing you all into the center. As the fingers interlaced, you summoned a cushion of wind to prevent any injuries.

The rocky prison followed your descent. You hit the cushion and rolled off, sustaining it until everyone landed.

"What happened?" Griamore clutched Hendrickson's leg with an expression of terror.

"Drole's holding us hostage," Diane said. "We're under the earth now."

"She's right." You couldn't feel any currents outside of the chamber, no matter how hard you concentrated.

The ground shook. You held onto Howzer, and his hand clutched your shoulder. Debris drifted down from the ceiling. The looks on everyone's faces matched what you felt.

"An extraordinary clash of energy." Gowther carried an unconscious Escanor, watching the ceiling with apathy.

"Taking on those monsters by himself...how reckless is that?" Howzer demanded.

Elizabeth stared up at the ceiling, her expression the antithesis of Gowther's. "Sir Meliodas!" she whimpered.

"You guys!" Hawk exclaimed. "Come on, we're gonna go help Meliodas out!"