Chapter One

Weeks later

Y/n's Point Of View

I had recently come back from a run and I was slowly making my way up the stairs of the apartment building we where staying in, we chose to stay at the top floor so I could make it to the roof and do what I want up there. With our luck we found the keys on a dead janitor from this apartment complex, I walked into our room my bag full of random shit I could find I locked the door sighing I put my katana down setting my bag down on the table. Kate was sitting on the couch cleaning one of her guns I sat down next to her leaning back "I found gas station and was hoping the both of us could head out here soon after we eat to see if we can siphon any gas and gather anything else we could find" I say, she looks up at me her eyes beaming she quickly nodded I never asked her to go on runs with me since I preferred to be alone and someone needed to stay back and guard the place. But since we haven't heard anything I decided to let her come with.

After we ate our food straight from the can I grabbed my katana and Kate grabbed her guns I emptied put my bag and I pulled out two walkie talkies I handed one to her, I grabbed the key and the two of us slowly made our way down the stairs and outside I lead Kate to the gas station my katana in hand and ready for anything.

Once we got to the gas station we split up Kate was out siphoning gas and checking cars me on the other hand I was in the gas station going through everything, I heard some walking from behind me I knew it wasn't one of the dead cause I didn't hear any groaning. I quickly turned around pointing my katana at the person behind me, it was a boy with brown hair and blue eyes he had a cowboy had on his head and he looked about my age "The hell do you want" I spat coldly. I hear static on my walkie and I grabbed it my katana still aimed at him I soon heard Kate's voice "Y/n theres a group of people heading our way I'm hiding in one of the cars now, let's try to avoid them unless you wanna deal with them" she said, the boys eyes widened "P-please don't hurt them we mean no harm" he quickly said I put my katana away and I pressed the button on the walkie "I have one of their group members I'll return him to them, once you see me come out of the car" I said shoving the boy for him to move. He quickly turned around and the two of us made our way out of the station I saw Kate exit the car running over to me, the group noticed us with the boy and quickly approached us. I crossed my arms looking at them "Your lucky that boy isn't dead, snuck up on me would'a killed him but I didn't hear any groaning" I said wiping my hands on my pants, Kate then did what she always did and piped in "Theres a herd of the dead heading this way, and from the looks of it you guys have nowhere to stay. Would you like to stay with us for the night?" She asked. I turned around looking at her "Wait a herd?! And you didn't bother to tell me this till now!" I shouted pinching the bridge of my nose as I started muttering curses under my breath, the man who looked like the leader looked at me "Are you fine with that?" He asked. I thought for a minute "Yeah I don't mind, we should probably introduce ourselves. Well I'm Y/n and that's Kate" I said "I'm Rick and this is my son Carl, back there is Shane" he said pointing to a man who nodded his head clamly and then pointed to an asian man "Glenn" and then pointed to the last guy who had a crossbow "And Daryl" he said. I waved kindly at them "Well follow me and I'll lead you to our base, Kate how much time till the herd passes here?" I asked as we started making our way back to the apartments "Roughly and hour or more" she replied, I nodded as continued walking towards the apartment complexes.

Once we got to the complex and made it all the way to the top floor everyone looked tired and by now it was dark and I could hear loud groans from outside, I sighed unlocking the door letting everyone in Kate instantly made her way into the kitchen grabbing cans of food from the counter and dividing it up between everyone. I walked into the livingroom grabbing a Sniper rifle and a candle I walked past the counter grabbing a can of corn "I'll be on the roof if anyone needs me." I said walking out and up another flight of stairs opening the door that lead to the roof I sat in a lawn chair that I had set up I set down the candle on this stand and lighting it for some lighting, I looked through the scope watching the herd slowly trudging through my small home town I heard the door open and I turned around seeing Carl "Hey uh Kate wanted me to bring you some water since you didn't grab any" he said walking over to me and handing it to me. I nodded in thanks and he sat down next to the chair "I hope you don't mind if I sit out here with you" I shrugged "I don't mind I guess" I said I picked up the rifle again aiming it around the small town "I haven't seen anyone my age in a while, since my bestfriend Sophia went missing actually" he said I looked back at him and listened to him rant a bit. I sat there listening to what he had to say it seemed like his group had been through a lot, he looked up at me "Uh sorry about all that depressing stuff" he said, I chuckled lightly "Wanna play 20 questions?" I asked he smiled and nodded.

Narrator's Point Of View

The two stayed up for a while talking to each other and playing 20 questions, soon both of them got sleepy and they both fell asleep next to each other on the hard floor, later that night the door opened and Kate came out she had a blanket in her hand and chuckled she threw the blanket on top of them and left leaving the two alone together on the roof sleeping soundly like the was no problem and that the apocalypse had started weeks ago.

----------

I hope you enjoyed chapter one I'm surprised I got two chapters done in one night, I hope you like how the book is going so far ♡