Chapter One // Don't Expect Everything To Be All Rainbows And Unicorns.

***A/N PLEASE READ***Hey guys! So I hope you like my new story, and please don't compare this story to my others. My other stories are really terrible since most of them I wrote when I was younger, I'm thinking about deleting them. Anyways, this first chapter is kind of short, compared to how long my other chapters with be. It's just kind of showing you a glimpse of the main characters, Courtney, Lee, and Jack, and how their lives are. I hope you like this chapter! And I am aware that the description for this book is kind of confusing, but you will get it later on in the story. I'm sorry if you think this first chapter is a bit boring, but I promise it get's better, just try to stay with me. Oh, and this super amazing cover was made by 17Serenity she's so sweet, you should go follow her! Sorry for the long author's note, let's get into the story! WARNING: THIS STORY HAS A LOAD OF GRAMMAR MISTAKES I"M STILL EDITING IT SO PLEASE EXCUSE THE MISTAKES!!!!

GO ASK ME QUESTIONS!!! https://m.ask.fm/prettyinparis_

CHAPTER ONE // DON'T EXPECT EVERYTHING TO BE ALL RAINBOWS AND UNICORNS.

I let out a groan of irritation as Jack attempted to make a touchdown, running into the end zone with tons of players trying to block him. He was easily tackled to the ground. He could've passed the ball to Cole, who was much closer to the end zone and was open.

"Hey Jack!" I called from the sidelines.

A pair of blue eyes met mine and I saw sorrow in them.

It was his dad. I knew it.

Jack doesn't have the best family in the world. His mom cheated on his dad when he was only twelve, leaving him and his family alone with not enough money to pay the bills. When he was fifteen, his dad was diagnosed with cancer leaving only Jack to take care of him and his little sister, Bella. As soon as he turned sixteen, he started working two jobs a week, trying to pay off the hospital bills and buy groceries for his family.

Knowing that he hated pity, I decided to go rough on him. "Next time, throw the ball to someone who is much closer to the field goal."

He nodded his head then turned back around to the game that was now returning to action.

The hot Alabama air had me sweating bullets, so I turned around and headed over to the water cooler.

"His game has been messed up all day, things must be getting really bad with his dad." Josh, who was taking a break from the game, said once I arrived at the water cooler.

I grabbed a cup and begun to fill it with water. "I know." I stopped once my cup was filled and glanced at Jack who was zoning out on the field. "Do you think his father's gotten worse?"

"I'm not sure but," He hesitated as if deciding he should tell me this or not. "I heard his mom's coming to visit his father today."

My eyes went wide. "But he hasn't seen his mom in five years."

Josh sighed. "I guess his dad is getting pretty bad."

I looked at Jack again who I could tell was trying to get lost in the game of football and forget about his dad. "I almost hate to say this," I stopped staring at Jack and looked up at Josh. "But do you think we should let him sit out for homecoming?"

"No!" Josh shouted, his green eyes filled with worry. "Jack's one of our best players, I heard Easton high had this new quarterback. He's supposed to be amazing. Without Jack, I'm not sure we can win this game."

I sighed. He had a point. Apparently there's this new quarterback, it's all anyone has been talking about. He's supposed to be really good, not to mention the ladies wouldn't mind going to a game or two just to look at him. Because of him, Easton High hasn't lost a game all year.

"I suppose you're right. But that doesn't mean that our homecoming game is more important than Jack's situation."

Though the homecoming game was one of the biggest games of the year, nothing beat Jack's situation. Of course, Jefferson High has had a rivalry with Easton High for as long as I can remember, but Jack deserved time with his dad before he's gone. Even if he is one our best players.

Josh ran a hand through his sweaty brown hair. "Just think about it okay? I've got to get back to practice."

~

"Sarah, I don't see what's the big deal about this guy, I mean you've dated him five times and all he's done is hurt you." I explained to my best friend while walking home in the humid air. "I say just dump him on the side of the road."

I could hear her let out a puff of irritation on the other line. "But you just don't get it Courtney, he's special."

Yeah because cheating on you with three girls is so special.

"Look Sarah, I've got to go. I'm almost home. Talk to you later, okay?"

"Fine. Don't get kidnapped." She replied with a hint of annoyance in her voice.

"Lighten up. Wanna spend the night at my house Friday? We can sit around and watch romantic movies while drowning our problems in chocolate."

I could practically feel her smile on the other line. "Sure. See you tomorrow?"

"See you tomorrow."

Then the line went dead.

I slipped my phone in my pocket but as soon as I put it in there, a tall figure ran into me.

"Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry." A deep voice said as I got up off the ground.

I rolled my eyes in annoyance. "It's fine."

I scrambled to pick up my books but sadly found them in a puddle of mud beside the side walk. "You've got to be kidding me!" I exclaimed..

"I'm so sorry." The deep voice said once again. "I swear I totally didn't mean to do that, I was running and I wasn't paying attention. I'm sorry."

I finally looked up at the figure and saw a pair of blue eyes looking down at me.

I couldn't really make out his face because of the sun in my eyes but I could tell it was a boy with his tall figure and deep voice.

He squated down next to me and grabbed my books out of the mud. "Here." He said, passing me my books. "The mud was mostly dry, it shouldn't leave to much damage."

Not saying anything, I rolled my eyes and grabbed my books, hoping the guy would leave.

He laughed. "You have mud in your hair."

I felt a blush creep up my cheeks as he reached his hand up to my face and used his thumb and index finger to pluck the mud out. "There." He said with a smug look on his face.

I'll admit, he was kind of cute. He had dark brown hair that covered most of his forehead. And you could see his perfectly golden tan from the summer on his freckled cheeks. But other than that, this guy was getting on my last nerve after he ran into me, causing my books to fall in the mud. Then he tried to flirt with me, expecting everything to be all rainbows and unicorns.

He offered me a hand to help me up but I quickly rejected it. I got up and started to continue walking back to my house but he grabbed my wrist before I could leave.

"What?" I asked in an annoyed tone.

"What's your name?" He asked.

"Courtney."

"Courtney." He said looking at me questionably. "Nice to meet you Courtney." He said with a normal expression returning to his face. "I'm Lee, I'll see you around."

I let out a sigh of annoyance. I hope not.

Keeping my thoughts to myself, I gave him a fake smile. "Yeah, I guess I'll see you around."