Chapter Two // I Know You're Really Big On 'Helping The People' And All.

Please excuse the mistakes.

Oh, and I decided to cast Chloe Mortez as Courtney because isn't she just beautiful?

CHAPTER TWO // I KNOW YOU'RE REALLY BIG ON 'HELPING THE PEOPLE' AND ALL.

Today was Friday and nearly the whole entire school was pumped for the big game tonight. The halls were covered with sighs that said 'Send Those Land Sharks Back To The Ocean!' and 'Make Those Land Sharks Regret They Even Stepped Foot On Our Territory!' Cheerleaders wore there uniforms all day today, even the basketball players were pumped for tonight's game, even though they always complain about how they 'never get enough attention.'

Even though I hated the Easton High Land Sharks just as much as everyone else at our school did, I had to admit, it was a little unhealthy how much we cared about this game.

As soon as the bell rang declaring the end of eighth period, every one ran out of honors calculus screaming and shouting about tonight's game. I felt bad for our teacher, Mr.Lancaster, who was going over something very important but was interrupted by the bell, but I knew he was probably just as pumped up for tonight's game as the rest students were.

"So you coming to tonight's game?" Sarah asked me once I got to my locker.

I raised my eyebrows. "Why wouldn't I be coming?"

She rolled her dark green eyes. "I meant actually watching the game, not helping Mrs.Burrow at the concession stand."

"Hey!" I exclaimed. "There's probably a thousand students or possibly more coming to tonight's game, both of us can barely control the concession stand by ourselves, imagine how it would be with her by herself."

"Look Courtney, I know you're really big on 'helping the people' and all, but tonight's a really big game, I want you to be there with me."

"I'll be there okay, I'll find a way." I promised.

"Okay, Evan's giving me a ride today so I have to go." Evan has been Sarah and I's best friend since freshman year of high school. He was the awkward new kid, and luckily we were there to save him from being a total geek with no friends.

"I'll see you at the game?" She asked.

"I'll see you at the game."

~

I could feel a line of sweat on my upper brow forming from the hot Alabama heat. It was the beginning of fall and had not cooled down one bit.

I was currently walking to football practice, no I was not on the team, but I was not like most girls at school. Yes I could be girly at times, and yes I was texting on my phone a lot, but unlike most girls I was friends with the whole entire football team.

I knew all of the terrible situations they were in at home, and I knew all of the girl problems they were having. I went to every practice they had. With my handy football knowledge from my father and brother, I could correct almost every single mistake they made.

"Hey Courtney!" A voice called behind me.

I turned around and was greeted by a panicked looking Jack running towards me.

"Everything okay?" I asked once he caught up to me.

He let out a low sigh and looked up towards the sky. "I would lie and say yes, but considering how things have gotten from bad to worse, I'm going to be honest. Things really aren't okay."

I stopped walking and looked up at him, my eyes filled with concern. "Jack, look at me." I said, my voice soft.

Instead, he looked down at the ground, I was forced to tilt his chin up.

When his crystal blue eyes looked into mine, I could see tears forming in them.

That was all I needed to know it was his dad, and I knew not to say anything, that would only make matters worse.

"If you need to, you can skip the game tonight."

He sighed, looking at the ground once again. "Courtney, you of all people know that I can't do that. If we were to lose tonight, the whole school would blame me."

"The whole school freaking loves you Jack!" I shouted, trying to brighten the mood. "I'm sure they wouldn't blame you over one little game. Even if it is the biggest game of the year."

To my success, he smiled. A real one, with the crinkles by his eyes showing. "Way to make a guy feel cocky, Courtney."

I laughed, "Jack Rivers is definitely not the cocky type."

"Hey you never know, people change."

I looked up at him. "Well Jack Rivers, don't change, because I like you just the way you are."

~

It was almost time for kickoff and I couldn't be more eager to sit on the stands and watch the game with the rest of the student body.

Unfortunately, being the nice person I was, I was stuck at the consession stand with Mrs.Burrow trying to catch my breath after running around in the small stand fetching food for other students.

Most of the big crowd was gone, taking there seats in the stands since it was almost time for kickoff, but I can only imagine how crowded it will be once it's halftime.

"Courtney honey," Mrs.Burrow started, giving me an understanding look. "Go out to the stands, I'm worried you'll pass out soon if you don't stop holding your breath."

Suddenly realizing I probably looked like a little kid waiting to get candy at a store, I released a big breath and sighed. "Mrs.Burrow, there's no way you can run this stand by yourself, I have to stay."

"Honey, there all going to be to involved in the game to come back here." She put a hand on my shoulder. "Go. Go out there and have fun, go be a teenager."

I let out a breath of air then smiled. "Thanks Mrs.Burrow. I promise I'll be back at half time." Then I ran out of the stand before she could argue.

Unfortunately, while I was running, I wasn't paying attention to my surroundings and smacked my face into a guy wearing a Easton High Land Sharks football jersey.

I looked up at him an apology on the tip of my tongue but then I recognized the brown hair and blue eyes.

Well, now I have one more thing to hate about Lee.