Book two: Chapter twenty

Zuri's POV

"You're truly God sent, thank you so much." The young lady who's a year older than I am said with a grateful smile for the umpteenth time since she came here and glanced at her six year old daughter beside her, ruffling her hair. "Thanks to you my angel here and I are free from that monster forever."

I equally smiled and clasped my hands, setting it on the desk, "you don't need to thank me, I'm glad to be of help. You know, we all want our children to grow up in a happy family with both parents around, I agree with that but when the other parent is abusive, then I'll do anything to ensure he's out of the picture. I have a daughter like her myself so I understand why you put up with him all these years but I'm more proud of you for taking the bold step of calling it quits, this success is thanks to you too." I told her in all honesty, we women are so concerned about creating a happy environment for our children that most of us do not care about the price we pay for that even if we have to put up with abusive partners.

Don't get me wrong, I also want a happy home for my child but I won't put up with an abusive partner for years just so my daughter or son gets to have both parents around. That is hypocrisy at its highest level, what we don't think about is the influence it has on the child, they may not be physically abused but the emotional abuse that they go through is worse than the physical which leaves them with a scar  that runs deep for years if not dealt with.

That is why after enrolling in law school I decided to pursue family law before indulging in corporate law and I've not regretted my decision since then, I've brought smiles and salvation to a lot of broken people who thought life had nothing to offer and they can never piece themselves back.

My job means a lot to me, it has taught me somethings about life that I didn't learn at school and I'll choose this career over and over again in my next life. The smiles, new profound hope and life that I see on the face and lives of my client is what makes this job more worthwhile.

"Your daughter is very lucky to have a mother like you." She remarked with a smile, breaking me from my thoughts and jolting me to reality, the reality being I still have a client with me in my office and I've zoned out.

I nodded in agreement, she indeed is lucky but I am more lucky to have her in my life. Ever since her arrival in my life, I've seen and felt my life changing for the best. I didn't have a reason to live initially but with her presence, I have something and she's been a blessing and sunshine in my life that I won't trade anything for.

I pushed the swivel chair behind and got up, making my way to her. I held her hands and gave it a gentle squeeze as I looked at her and beamed, a smile of pride. "I can say the same for you, she's lucky to have a heroine like you who gave up everything just for her happiness."

"I didn't have a choice, all I saw was the happiness of my baby girl, nothing else mattered and seeing her always smiling gave me the strength all these six years." My latest client whom I've come to know as Daphne admitted and almost choked on her tears had I not rubbed her shoulder.

I wiped her tears, giving her a wide smile. Things were getting gloomy and I have to lighten up the mood, watching her breakdown in court was torturing enough.

"Mummy I'm hungry." Her daughter Cassandra, whined as if sensing the tense atmosphere.

We both tore our gaze to her and smiled. She pouted cutely and clutched her stomach as she stared at her mother with puppy eyes.

My baby is the same when she's hungry but a little worse, she throws childish tantrums most times which isn't strange but a little strange, she took after Wendy.