Book three: Chapter nine

Zuri's POV

"So long Zuri." Hearing his voice and how he sounded, I sharply took in a breath because suddenly I felt like all the air has been knocked out of me, my feet felt like they couldn't support me anymore.

"Lui?"

I saw this coming but despite that, I feel like I've been taken unawares. All along I knew this day was going to come and just this morning, I knew sooner or later Lui and I are going to dig up this painful past of us. I knew he was going to demand for explanation but I didn't know this soon. Not even after how he looked at me suspiciously this morning or this feeling in my gut telling me Lui was going to find out about it.

I thought I could buy more time to prepare myself on how I was going to approach this but no, the devil himself is here and I know he's never going to leave till he gets answers to all his questions even if he has to force it it of me, he will.

"You know me so well don't you?" The way she said it sent chills down my spine, I was scared out of my mind but not so much than what I felt when I turned on the lights in the room.

I had to stop myself from shrieking and alerting Jakira, the last thing I want is my baby being around what's about to go down. I felt trapped, I couldn't do anything. Even if I could, I wouldn't do it, I can't keep running away from this, I can't escape this cause this day was surely going to come. All along I knew one day I'd be doing this, the time is now and I have to let it all out.

"I can't keep fighting this anymore." I half sobbed, saying that under my breath as I slumped to the floor with a thud. I can't hide this truth from him, it's been four years now when else I'm I going to tell him?

"The show hasn't even started yet and you're in tears?" He muttered, his voice cold and hard. I knew he was trying to suppress his anger, he was trying so hard.

"I can't help it." I admitted truthfully to him. I can't help but cry, time has caught up with me so fast, I have no other choice than to tell him the truth, the sad truth that I left him because someone asked me to.

He snorted. "I'll advise you as a good friend to help it cause you'll be shedding more of that if you don't fucking start explaining yourself!"

I'll tell you, of course I'll tell you! "Can...can I go check..check on her?" I need to put my baby to bed, she's already had dinner at mama's.

"No." I was about to say something but he spoke up before I could, "I will check up on her myself, I don't trust you enough to let you out." He spat, getting up from the couch where he had been sitting all this while, he walked past me and out of the room. I heard the door being locked the minute he stepped out.

I broke into a sob, my head falling into my hands. As I cried, I began thinking of what I was going to say, I have no idea how to handle this situation right now. I needed more time to prepare myself for this confrontation but he left me with no choice, I should have known he was going to come today, I had that feeling but I just threw it out of the window.

Sooner than I wished he was going to come back, I heard him unlock the door, swung it open and come in.

"She's fine, I put her to bed." He said in a low voice, walking past me.

"Thank you."

"Get up from the floor." He didn't snap like I expected him to, his voice was gentle and he looked a lot calmer which was a big contrast to how he was before he left here. Lui doesn't have mood swings so what happened?  I didn't dare ask, I only did what he asked me to and sat on the bed.

I laced my fingers together, resting them on my laps as I waited for him to yell at me, demanding for explanations. After some reasonable minutes of hearing nothing, I tilted my head so I could look at him.