CHAPTER 33

“Oyin hurry.” He shouted from the living room. I frowned as I hastened up. We were both going to the airport to pick up his dad.

I begged him to let me stay back, but he insisted I followed him. I had been acting sluggish all morning on purpose, so maybe he’d notice, get impatient and ask me to stay. After dressing, I joined him downstairs.

“Do I have to go with you?” I grumbled. After what I did, I was uneasy about seeing his dad again. My father-in-law almost had a broken leg. I chuckled inwardly. I must admit, it was satisfying.

“You have to. I need your company more than anything today. You know how my dad can be.” He planted a kiss on my cheek before I could say anything else, then dragged me to the car.

In the car I said “The last time your moms was here she told me some things.”

“Okay. What did she tell you?”

“She told me about your inheritance from you biological father. And how your step-father doesn’t want to give it up.” His face held no expression.

“Wow! I didn’t know you guys had the time to talk like that.”

“Well, she came to my work and took us out. It shocked me as you are.”

“That sounds like my mom.” He smiled

“You are not mad?”

“Why would I be? I wanted to tell you I just haven’t found the time.”

“I am glad. Childhood must have been hard.” I said and noticed he clenched his jaw.

I knew he was uncomfortable, so I let it die. Today might not be the day to talk about it.

“Yes. It was. I had to fight for my mom’s attention with someone who never saw me as his son.”

The hurt in his voice made me grab his hand, and I squeezed it.

“Can I ask what the inheritance is exactly?”

“I don't know. All I know is, it’s something huge. If he is not willing to let it go.”

“Do you know your father?”

“I had memories, but they have faded over the years. Mom is the only one that remembers him. He is her first love.”

“She does. She speaks of him so fondly.”

At the airport, we waited for him to come out and soon he didn’t. He wore an Ankara attire and with his size he was easy to spot.

He opened his arms, and his son flew right into it, making me go aww for a while. I stood and watched them, trying to remember the last time I hugged my dad. They approached

“Good morning,.” I greeted, kneeling slightly. I didn’t bother to greet him well because he didn’t deserve any of this.

“My dear, how are you?” He smiled a smile that didn’t quite reach his eyes.
“Fine, sir.” I answered politely.

“Shall we?” Demilade said, and we all left for the car.

When we arrived at the house. I carried his things into the room we had prepared for him. It was that same room they used when he was here with his wife. We cleaned it and spread new sheets. I ventured into the kitchen to make something for him to eat.

He and his son are discussing as I can hear their laughter from the kitchen. I wondered if it was genuine or they both pretending. I guess that must have been how they coped. Lying to each other.