CHAPTER 41

We were on the airplane again, going back to Canada, and I couldn’t help but giggle at myself. I felt so happy that I convinced Demilade we didn’t go home so soon and he agreed.

We stayed for a week at my dads. I must admit it’s been a while since I had so much fun. I think he loved it too. He was having a good time. He smiled and laughed more and I couldn’t be happier.

It all still feels like a dream. I wasn’t so sure how it would all turn out the day he came to apologize, but seeing everything now,I turned out to be perfect.
My dad gave him an earful even before I ended up crying and begging for him to stop. It’s the hormones. Not that I didn’t want him to be scolded, I just didn’t like the way my dad did it. I after just made him something to eat.

He looked good, but something was amiss. He looked stressed out. Like he’d gone through a lot that day.

“I’m sorry” It flew out before I knew it.

“For what?” He stopped eating the Amala I made for him with egusi soup. 

“For running away, I guess, and letting my dad scold you.” I told him, sinking back into the chair, feeling a little uncomfortable about my sudden outburst.

“I would have run away from me too and still love your dad. He said the truth and I don’t feel bad about it. It’s all partially my fault, anyway.”

He continued to eat. He looks like he really enjoys it. I don’t blame him; he doesn’t get to eat our Nigerian delicacies much in Canada.

“You like?” I pointed to the food.

“No. I love.” His gaze fixed on me. I blushed. And the person you should apologize to is Daria. She’s angry that you left without telling her"

“Oh! My goodness! I totally forgot”

I left him at the table and went to my room to grab my phone. Daria did sound angry, but it changed to a series of giggling and squealing when I told her Demmy apologized and we were back together.

We visited places like the amusement park, the beach, a restaurant and his mom’s house. Sometimes, my siblings tagged along as well.

We told her everything. We removed the part where he tried to rape me so she wouldn’t completely want to divorce him. To our dismay, it wasn’t the first time she was hearing it. She told us he had even brought one of them home.

In the end, we still had to return to Canada. It was really emotional for me. I hugged my father and my siblings, promising them another visit soon. I gave tangible gifts to my stepmom’s.

My siblings almost drained my purse. Thank god, he was there to support and help me. Some of them. Started crying, that also got me teary-eyed. I hated crying in front of people, so I cried on our way to the airport. My husband has seen me cry before, so it wasn’t awkward or anything. I bade my goodbyes. In short, I had the best time ever back home.

I still had my fear of flight, but it was better this time cause I had Demilade. And this time it wasn’t awkward for me him sleeping beside me. He held and cradled me in his arms, dropping kisses on my forehead whenever he felt like. Tickling me... almost making me pee in my pants.

We left Nigeria in the afternoon and got to Canada the next day afternoon. I dreaded going back. My breath picked up as we stopped a cab. I wondered if Lucy had moved in... she’s crazy like that or if Demilade’s dad was still there. I’d have to see his stupid face again.

Demilade had refused to call his father since he’d left the house. The old man as frequently tried his number, but it just stopped on the third day.
I felt a hand grab my hand, and I turned to look.