CHAPTER 40

My step mom walked in on our conversation. I couldn’t tell my dad what transpired between Demilade and I.

  Things between us have been great so far. We’ve been healing each other’s wounds. He did what he did out of love, so I guess it’s understandable. We have to make up for lost times.

We are both open to changes, and that makes it easier. The awkwardness isn’t so bad also I can foresee that getting used to It won’t take a lot of time.

  I woke up that morning, had a quick shower, and headed to my dad’s room. My dad is a very light sleeper, another reason he doesn’t let any of his wives and kids sleep in his apartment. He wakes up very early in the morning at around 4:00 and what he does after, I really don’t know.

I’m staying at his apartment because I really don’t want my step mothers all up in my business. He allowed me to stay, but I had to promise to adhere to his rules.

It’s been difficult with the baby and Demilade. Sometimes I wake up feeling sick, sometimes it’s just sadness and emptiness. It’s been reducing compared to the first few days I got here.

I have family and people who help me to not fully sink into oblivion. I have four elder siblings and 10 younger siblings. It’s customary that one of them comes to disturb my life every day.

Even the ones who seem to be grown up and hitting puberty still come to ask for money. I laugh a lot when I’m around my sibling, but when it’s just me I result in thinking and I literally get bored with everything.

I love everyday back in Nigeria and at home and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. I chased out of the house after school and for three years I didn’t speak to any of them. It’s like getting to know them all over again. They are all very different, but they seem to get along without a hitch.

I have considered going back to Canada when it all dies down. Having and raising my child abroad would be nice.

I told no one that I’m expecting a child and the baby bump wasn’t visible just yet. I’m three weeks pregnant and my tummy is still flat.

I went back and forth into his room, contemplating. I finally opened the door when I reached a conclusion. As much as my family isn’t perfect, they are still the only ones I’ve got.

“Good Morning Sir.” I greeted. I took in the room. It’s my first time in his room and I wondered why he had an entire apartment. His large room housed everything he needs.

He had a flat screen TV, bed, couches and dining room. The only thing missing was a kitchen. I could see plates of food his wives must have served him that morning.

“Kaaro oo. Hope you woke up well” He asked, closing the door to his bathroom.

“Yes, sir.” I answered

I watched as he made his way to the space where his mini dining room was.

“What is the matter? Is something wrong?” He asked, and I went closer sat on the chair just after he sat down.

“I wanted us to finish our conversation. I came to tell you the real reason I came home.”

I watched as he opened a plate to reveal rice and stew with vegetables. The other had pottage and the last one had Amala and efo riro.

He shifted the plate of rice to me, and I smiled.

“Why rice?” I asked,. tilting my head to the side

“I know my children and each of your preferences. You’ve never liked swallows. You are just like your mother.” He said, smiling.

“I’m pregnant.” I announced and watched his eyes widen. He didn’t seem too surprised. It’s not his first grandchild, anyway.