5 | The Best Friend

It has only been two days after my first day at Boston University, and here I am, stuck in the house, doing assignments in the living room

It has only been two days after my first day at Boston University, and here I am, stuck in the house, doing assignments in the living room. I do have much more free time -- compared to when I was in high school -- but there are a lot more modules I have to catch up to. Geez. I wish I could be more laid back and didn't have to be a perfectionist when it comes to studying.

I should be strolling around the town with Stacey, perhaps, grabbing some pizzas or going shopping at the mall.

I glance at the clock. 11 pm. Where is Jake? He's not back yet, and I don't remember him telling me that he had a football practice today.

Maybe he's having a date. I blow a sigh, placing my chin on the table.

The doorbell rings, and my mood brightens up. Here he comes.

"Coming." I hum, tottering toward the door.

When I open it, I'm surprised to find Vaughn standing by the door.

"Hey." He smirks, and I feel butterflies in my stomach. The fact that he's wearing a white shirt with a black leather jacket and ripped jeans, doesn't help at all. As always, he looks dangerously handsome.

"Hey." I smile softly. "Jake isn't here yet, but come in." He doesn't move from his spot, and I notice that he's staring at me before throwing his gaze away.

I swear, he looks flustered. What the hell? Am I seeing Vaughn Cooper losing his cool here?

Wondering why, I look down at myself and curse silently when I realize that I'm wearing a thin tank top with very short shorts.

I should think about dressing more properly now that I'm more likely to have my brother's friends coming over to our house.

When I turn around, Vaughn follows me before closing the door behind him.

"Make yourself at home," I say, making small talk. Awkwardly.

He sinks into the couch, and I sit down again on the rug, organising the papers on the table.

"Homework." I shrug.

He chuckles softly. "I'm here for assignments too. Jake is supposed to discuss with me about our new project."

I raise my brows. "Where's the guy? I thought he's with you."

Before he can answer me, his cellphone buzzes. The person from the other side of the line speaks, and Vaughn scoffs irritably. "Fine." He suddenly stands up.

"What happened?" I ask. "Are you leaving?"

"I'm going to pick him up. He's drunk." Vaughn walks to the door.

"What?" I blurt out. Jake isn't someone who can easily get drunk. He must be drinking too much. Like, a lot.

"I guess it's one of those special occasions," Vaughn explains like he knows what I'm thinking, considering the fact that Jake rarely gets drunk.