68 | Farewell

Today, every step that I make as I walk along the corridor of the hospital feels heavy

Today, every step that I make as I walk along the corridor of the hospital feels heavy. I just made a phone call to somewhere far away. Somewhere I will be. Soon.

It has been three days after I received the first phone call from them. And I've made up my mind.

I halt in front of the room, peeking through the glass on the door. And there inside the room, I see Vaughn, sitting on the bed.

And my throat hurts so much. Tears pool in my eyes.

I'm starting to doubt myself again whether I have enough strength to do this.

To leave him.

Right now. When he's still lying in the hospital. Wounded because of me. And it's very cruel of me that what I'm going to do next will just add more pain to his wounds, making them even worse.

I move away from the door and lean back against the wall. I can't do this.

But I have to. For myself. For him. For us.

Tears escape my eyes and roll down my cheeks. It hurts so much. It hurts me to the core that I have to leave him. I wish I could spend more time with him, even just for one more day, but my time is running out. I'll have to tell him soon.

But right now, I just want to cry. Cry, cry and cry. Breaking down. Pouring all of these tears. Because my heart screams for him. It never wants to leave him. It wants to stay here. How can it leave him if he never gives it back?

God, please give me strength.

Please ease my pain. I can't be like this when I talk to him.

And please heal all his wounds, including those I'll inflict when I deliver him this news.

I'm sitting on the bed, waiting for Melanie. She said that she wanted to have lunch in the cafeteria, and I can't blame her if she wants to get out of this room once in a while to get some fresh air. I never like hospital either. I wish we could go home soon.

But my thoughts stop at that. Home. Where is our home? My heart sinks as I realize again that we have no home to come back to. Yet.

I know for sure that she can't go back to Boston. It will kill her. But my future still lies in there. I have to think fast. I have to make a plan, but I can't rush it, because my future and hers are something that should be planned carefully.