57 | Chasing Her

As soon as Jake comes back from work, he visits my room. I sigh, closing my laptop. Jake leans back against my door frame, still in his office attire.

"Are you sure, Mel?" he asks me the question once again.

I nod. This past week, I've been spending time with my laptop to figure out what I'm going to do with my life. And finally, I've found a light, filled with hope for my future. A way to achieve my dreams.

"You know, I never thought that something like this would ever happen, but--" he falters, and I give him a hopeful look. A soft smile touches his lips. "As long as it makes you happy, I'm fine with it."

Relief washes over me. I thought that he would be reluctant to accept my idea at first, but I always know that he's going to be supportive, as long as it's the best for me. I stand up from the chair, approach him and hug him, making him sigh. "Thank you, Jake. I always know that you're gonna be on my side."

When we pull away, I do see the sadness in his eyes. Regrets. Like he wishes he could have prevented all of this from happening.

"I still have to clarify some things with them, so I think it's better not to tell Mom and Dad yet," I say, and he nods in agreement.

His cellphone buzzes, and he takes it out from his pocket to look at it. His lips form into a thin line, and he strides across my room toward the window before opening the curtain.

I wonder what's going on. "Is there something wrong?" I ask.

To my surprise, his jaw tightens as he walks back toward the door. "Stay here," he commands.

I watch as he totters downstairs. I'm still clueless about what's happening. Curious, I walk toward my window and open the curtain.

My heart freezes in place, and a gasp escapes my lips as I stare down at the person standing right in front of this house.

Vaughn.