66 | Back to You

I can't believe what I see

I can't believe what I see. Is this real? Because if this is all just a dream, I don't want to wake up.

Vaughn tries to move his finger again, but he's still very weak. I stroke his hand, a soft smile touching my lips as tears brim my eyes.

"You-you woke up," I whisper.

He gazes at me with his intense eyes. "I had a dream," he rasps, his voice just as weak as his stare. "And there, you called me. Many times."

I brush my fingers across his cheek. There's a tear in the corner of his eye, and I wipe it away as it escapes. "I've been thinking..." he pauses, his voice hoarse. "What if you haven't forgiven me? I couldn't just go away, leaving you like that, could I?"

My lips tremble, and I choke in tears. He stares at me, his eyes begging. "Melanie," he whispers. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry for all that I've done to you. I'm sorry that I hurt you."

I shake my head. He's begging me like he's dying. He has sacrificed himself to save me to the point that he almost lost his life. But now, here he is, asking for my forgiveness.

"I know I don't deserve--"

I cut him off by putting my finger on his lips, shutting away his words. He stares at me with a questioning look. Then, slowly, I lean closer to him and place a soft kiss on his lips.

He seems taken aback for a while, but then, he starts to kiss me back. Our kiss is so soft and slow. I pour all of my emotions into it, all my feelings for him. My love for him.

When we finally pull away, there's so much emotion in his eyes. "Does that mean I'm forgiven?" he asks, and I can't help the small smile touching my lips.

A soft smile tugs at his lips too, taking my breath away. I really like his smile. I've been missing it.

"You're stupid," I whisper, making him look at me with a questioning look again. "Why did you do that?" My voice is slightly shaking now. "Why did you shield me from the bullet? Did you know how I feel when you did that? Can't you imagine how I feel if you're really gone?" I snap, tears starting to blur my vision as I remember perfectly how it happened.

Vaughn's hand strokes mine as he holds it in his, trying to calm me down. "But I'm not. I'm here," he assures. "And I wouldn't have it any other way. Because of that, I can still see you again, Melanie."

I swallow a lump in my throat.

"What about me? Can't you imagine how I felt when that bastard pointed the gun at you?" he raises his tone, his voice also shaking now. "Did you know how I feel when he pulled the trigger? I couldn't lose you, Mel. I can't. I won't ever be able to." His last sentence is barely a whisper.

Seeing my broken form, he tries to sit up but wince when the pain strikes him again. And it hurts me just as much from seeing that sight. "Come here," he rasps, placing his hand behind my nape to pull me closer to him. Then, as I lean down toward him again, he kisses my lips.