41 | I Miss You

AN:
Once again, thank you so much guys for showing your love for this story and supporting this book.

Now let's continue the journey :)

***

I wake up with heavy breaths, sweats all over my body

I wake up with heavy breaths, sweats all over my body. The room is still dark. Sitting up, I glance at the clock on my nightstand.

00:30 AM.

I'd been tossing in my sleep because I had a bad dream. It felt so real, about getting caught by the lunatic.

Shaking my head, I get up from my bed. It's useless to try to sleep again, because I know that I won't be able to. I don't know when this nightmare will stop. It once did when Vaughn was here.

After putting on a warm sweater, I walk out of my room and head to the foyer. I open the front door, feeling the cold night wind blowing against my skin.

Why am I still waiting for him to come home like this?

It's not like he's going to come back, Melanie.

I stare at the front gate, and something makes me frown. My heart almost stops as I catch a glimpse of shadows behind it. I almost scream, but then the figure starts to become clearer when it steps under the street light.

"Ma'am, is everything alright?" An officer steps closer toward the gate of my house. I see another one approaching beside him.

A sigh of relief leaves my lips. They are apparently the securities from the housing complex, guarding my house.

"We've been ordered to tighten the security around your house since the incident back then, so there's no need to worry," one of them says, concern in his voice. "We're conducting patrols. And we do this every night. We're keeping in touch with the cops as well."

That's really good to hear. "Thank you," I say, grateful that I can at least still feel safe in my own house. "I'm just...waiting for someone, actually."

The officer nods in understanding before getting back into his position. Feeling the air getting even colder and finally thinking that I might catch a cold if I don't get back inside, I close the door and lean back against it.

Blowing a sigh, I stare blankly at my house. My mind plays with me as I imagine Vaughn holding my hand and pulling me into a tight hug at times like this, making me feel safe in his arms.

But I know that it's not going to happen. It's just a fraction of my imagination, which happens to miss him.

 It's just a fraction of my imagination, which happens to miss him