Chapter 1 - Rules Of Engagement

My name, not that it matters, is Nells Yuovich. I'm the descendant of Polish immigrants or some bullshit like that. My father told me this, my mother would just snort and walk away. My dad was a grifter, a con artist. In her younger days, before the stretch marks and saggy tits, my mother had been an 'exotic dancer' as she put it. My dad said she was a stripper. On this one, I sided with dad. Pissed mom off.

One night, during one of their many drunken arguments, mother dear grabbed a pistol, and blew my father's brains onto a wall in the den. Apparently she hadn't thought it was loaded and pointed it at him to make a point and pulled the trigger. Seeing the mess she'd made, she then plastered her brains on the ceiling.

After the cops cleaned up the mess and the landlord repainted, my aunt on my mother's side took over raising me. Jessica's husband, my uncle, was Joshua Gagucci. Everyone called my uncle sir, or mister Gagucci, even my aunt when others were around. Even when no one was around, I had to call him mister Gagucci.

I wondered as a young boy what mister Gagucci did for a living. I asked but never received an answer. The closest thing I was ever told that resembled an answer was that he was a type of 'investor'. Whatever he did, it paid well I thought. Three story colonial style house, large back yard and an impressive front yard with a circle drive including a fountain. I no longer went to public school, that wouldn't do for a member of the Gagucci family. Now I would go to a prestigious private school.

Many years had passed since my introduction to my aunt and mister Gagucci. My uncle was now long in the grave, my aunt was in a home where they put old people to forget about them. Forget, that was all she did now. She didn't even know whom I was the last time I visited.

I looked back into the passenger cabin from the window of the jet airliner, my mind returning to the present age. We were descending making our final approach to land. The whine of the engines filled my head, the flaps on the wings were down. The landing gear would be locked into position now, ready for touchdown on the tarmac. The flight had been good. No screaming babies, no air turbulence, and the person next to me was a young girl, maybe eight or ten, instead of some fat Holstein that blubbered into my space.

In an hour, I should be in the arms of Sheila again. She'd become my place of comfort and rest. Something someone like me seldom had for long, or deserved. Sheila, she was good for me but deserved better than what I had given her thus far. My eyes fell to my lap and my head sagged as this thought ran through my mind. I wanted to change our situation. 'Retire' and settle down with her. That would take some work though. My profession wasn't one you just up and 'retired' from.

The engine noise changed, we were seconds from the wheels touching solid ground again.

-_-_-_-_-_

"Good to see you again mister Benson." The rent-a-car guy said as I walked up to the desk. "We have the car you requested in lot B slot 12." He informed me as he held his hand out with the fob for the car extended out for me to grab.

I gave him my business polite smile. "Thanks." What was his name again? Benny? No, Benji. Yeah, that was it.

"Standard contract again? Same insurance clause?" Benji asked.

"Yes, that's fine." I answered him.

He was alright by my book. Never many questions, didn't try and make small talk or ask personal questions like some customer service people do. He kept his mind focused on the job. Focused on the job, just like I always did. However for me, it was a lot more 'critical' to stay focused. There was no room for mistakes. Benji slid the papers I had to sign towards me. My eyes skimmed over the document, giving the impression I was giving it a detailed once over to ensure accuracy. I signed it, having not really looked it over.