Chapter 26

"No, absolutely not! You'll be our guests. I already talked to Holland and he agrees. We have a guest room, well, area, it's more than just a room. You two will stay there. So much better than a hotel, I won't hear of you staying at a hotel." Zandie told Lydia and I when returned the car.

We'd stopped by a car rental place and picked up a Studebaker Parkway. It was comparable to Chevy's Yukon only in the luxury end of a larger SUV. When we tried to leave and head off to our hotel room, which I'd held for us, Zandie wouldn't hear of it. I was arguing back to her, saying we would be returning to the hotel when Holland walked in.

"Bullshit, like hell you're going back to that hotel to stay. We've got work to do and you need to stay out of sight. That hotel is probably crawling with fuckers that would sell you out to Fuck-Face in a heartbeat." Holland stopped in front of us and put his hands on his hips. "No fucking way are you staying there. Go back and get your shit and get back here. We have the resources you need here."

Then Lydia joined in. "He's right Nells. I'm not the one they're looking for, and if anyone recognizes you, or thinks your Wes Anderson, or whoever Tullis says he's looking for, we'll both be in hot water." She lowered her face, raised her eyebrows and gave me a look. "Staying at the hotel would be reckless."

Her message was clear to me. I'd just ripped her ass about being reckless, and all three of them were right. Staying at the hotel was a risk.

I nodded in agreement. "Okay, we'll go back and get our stuff." I looked at Zandie then Holland. "Thanks, both of you for letting us stay here."

Holland and Zandie both smiled. "That's what friends are for." She said.

Taking into consideration what everyone had said, I told Lydia to stay with them while I got our stuff from the hotel room. Lydia countered.

"Better idea. Since you're being watched for, and I'm not, I should be the one getting our stuff and checking out. That way you can watch for tails and cover my ass if anything pops." Lydia offered.

"She's got a point old boy. Let her handle that. No way Tullis is looking for a little girl." Holland said in support of Lydia's idea.

Lydia gave Holland a look. "Little girl?" She responded in an offended voice.

Holland chuckled. "Yeah, little girl, you are a girl, and you're little. You're cute little." He gave her a large smile when he finished.

Lydia shrugged accepting his explanation. Then she looked at me. Her expression was reluctant, my ass chewing clearly had hit the mark. She was waiting for my answer, that was clear.

With a sigh I answered. "Fine." I looked at Zandie. "Why don't you drive her. That way I'm completely out of the picture."

She looked at her boy. Holland moved his hands up with a shrug. "I'm fine with that lover." He told her.

When Zandie looked over at Lydia and I, Lydia was all smiles. "Alright then, I'll drive, Lydia gets your shit and checks out. We might make a stop or two on the way back. Girl stuff you know. Who's car are we taking?" Zandie asked.

Lydia answered quick. "Let's take the Studebaker, that things sweet, plus it has better storage." She shrank a little then looked at me. "If you approve, sir."

Zandie guffawed. "Sir?" Then she looked at me. "What the hell did you do to her?"

I didn't answer her question. "What 'girl stuff' are you making stops for?" I questioned. I didn't want Zandie getting Lydia things I didn't approve of.

It was Holland's turn to enter the mix, he laughed. "Probably tampons and douches old boy, you know, girl stuff, what else could that be?"

"Come on Lydia, let's leave these cock munchers to themselves." Zandie commented as she started walking towards us. She grabbed Lydia's hand and she turned to go with Zandie, but she didn't move. Zandie stopped and looked at her. "What's the matter Lydia?"