chapter four

Sam walks into the motel, Evie in one arm, a bag of food and a carton of two coffees in the other. Evie is holding her dog and a bottle of juice.

"Morning, sunshine." Sam greets his waking up brother.

"What time is it?" Dean asks.

"Uh, it's about 5:45." Sam answers.

"In the morning?" Dean asks.

"Yep." Sam nods.

"Where does the day go?" Dean sits up. "She's awake at 6 in the morning?"

"Yeah. She's 2, it happens." Sam says.

"Did you get any sleep last night?" Dean asks.

"Yeah, I grabbed a couple hours." Sam says.

"Liar. Cause I was up at 3, and you were watching a George Foreman infomercial with a 2 year old splayed across your chest." Dean says.

"Hey, what can I say? It's riveting TV and she likes cuddles." Sam defends.

"When was the last time you got a good night's sleep?" Dean asks.

"I don't know, a little while, I guess. It's not a big deal." Sam shrugs.

"Yeah, it is." Dean says.

"Look, I appreciate your concern--"

"Oh, I'm not concerned about you. It's your job to keep my ass alive, so I need you sharp." Sam shrugs. "Seriously, are you still having nightmares about Jess?" Sam gives him a look, motioning to Evie who is eating her muffin. "Sorry." Dean whispers.

Sam sits on the other bed, leaving Evie at the table to eat her food.

"Yeah. But it's not just her. It's everything. I just forgot, you know? This job. Man, it gets to you." Sam says.

"You can't let it. You can't bring it home like that."

"So, what? All this it... never keeps you up at night?" Dean shakes his head. "Never? You're never afraid?"

"No, not really."

Sam reaches under Dean's pillow and pulls out a large hunting knife, holding it up. Dean takes the knife back.

"That's not fear. That is precaution." Dean states.

"All right, whatever. I'm too tired to argue." Sam says.

Dean's phone rings and he answers it. Sam goes back over to Evie and squats beside her, making small conversation with her while she eats.

Evie holds a piece of the muffin she tore off out to Sam who refuses at first, saying she needs it, but she continues to hold it out to him. Sam finally relents and eats the muffin piece making Evie smile.

Sam smiles back at her, kissing her temple.

+++

They're at a plane hangar and talking to the guy who called Dean.

"Thanks for making the trip so quick. I ought to be doing you guys a favor, not the other way around. Dean and your dad really helped me out." Jerry tells Sam.