chapter twenty

Sam is in the interrogation room alone, pacing by the window. After getting caught, Dean is now believed to have murdered the victims the brothers were investigating and the police found Sam and Evie at the motel later and they haven't been at the police station for long. Evie got put in another interrogation room just how Dean is in a different one. Evie cried and cried, wanting her father, not stopping until she fell asleep.

The policewoman that lead the SWAT team to Sam and Evie walks into Sam's interrogation room with a coffee cup and she puts it on the table.

"Thought you might be thirsty." The woman, Diana Ballard, says.

"Okay, so you're the good cop. Where's the bad cop?" Sam asks.

"Oh, he's with your brother." Diana states.

"Okay. And you're holding us why?" Sam asks.

"Well, he's being held on suspicion of murder. And you, we'll see." Diana says.

"Murder?!" Sam asks in shock.

"You sound genuinely surprised. Or are you that good of an actor?" Diana asks.

"Who was he supposed to have murdered?" Sam asks.

"We'll get around to that."

"Well, you can't just hold us here without formal charges!"

"Well actually, we can, for 48 hours, but you being a pre-law student, would know that. I know all about you, Sam." Diana pulls out a file and reads from it. "You're 23 years old, no job, no home address. Your mother died when you were a baby, your father's whereabouts are unknown. You had your daughter when you were 20. And then there's the case of your brother, Dean. Whose demise was, well, just a little bit exaggerated. Feel free to jump in whenever you like."

Sam doesn't say anything, only leaning against the wall and crossing his arms.

"Shy? No problem. I'll keep going. Your family moved around a lot when you were a kid. Despite that, you were a straight A student. Got into Stanford with a full ride." She closes the file. "Then about a year ago there was a fire in your apartment. One fatality. Jessica Moore, your girlfriend, the mother of your child. After she died, you and Evie fell off the grid. Left behind everything."

"I needed some time off. To deal. So I'm taking a road trip with my brother."

"How's that going for you?"

"Great. I mean... we saw the second largest ball of twine in the continental U.S. Awesome." He sits backwards on the chair.

"We ran Dean's fingerprints through AFIS."

"Okay."

"Got over a dozen possible hits."

"Possible hits. Which makes them worthless."

"But it makes you wonder. What are we gonna find when we run your prints?"

"Yeah, well. You be sure to let me know, all right." Sam points to the cup. "May I?"

"Please."

"Great." Sam sniffs the cup before sipping it.