chapter thirty-four

Sam and Dean got arrested and the police got Evie-- who was back at the motel-- and took her to the police station with them.

They get to the police station and Sam and Dean are shackled together by chains, being guarded by two officers. Evie is being lead in by a different officer who has his hand on her back.

"Why all the sourpusses?" Dean asks.

"I'll show you to the cells." A cop says, grabbing Dean's arm.

"Hey! Hey! Watch the merchandise!" Dean tells him. "We're not the ones you should be scared of, Nancy."

"Put the kid in one of the rooms." Henriksen demands.

"No! I want daddy!" Evie yells.

"Too bad, kid." The cop who lead her in says, grabbing her arm and starting to drag her to an office.

Evie begins to scream making everybody in the station jump at the high pitched noise. She doesn't stop, continuing to scream.

"Make her stop!" Henriksen yells, covering one of his ears.

"What am I supposed to do?" The cop asks.

"Hey! Evie!" Sam tries to call, but she's still screaming.

"Don't talk to her!" Henriksen tells him.

"You want her to stop or not?" Sam asks. After Henriksen doesn't say anything, Sam looks back at Evie and raises his voice. "Evie!"

Evie immediately stops screaming having never heard her dad yell at her like that.

"Okay, baby, I'm not mad. I sounded mad, but I'm not. I promise. But I need you to not scream. I know you're scared and daddy won't be with you, but I need you to stay calm and be good." Sam tells her. "Can you do that?" Evie nods. "Okay. Just do that. I love you." He tells her before him and Dean are dragged back to the cells.

Evie looks down, trudging into the room the officer was leading her into.

~ ~ ~

The brothers are in the cell when Henriksen walks back.

"You know what I'm trying to decide?" Henriksen asks.

"I don't know. What? Whether Cialis will help you with your little condition?" Dean asks.

"What to have for dinner tonight. Steak or lobster. What the hell? Surf and turf. I got a lot to celebrate. I mean, after all, seeing you two in chains..." Henriksen says.

"You kinky son of a bitch. We don't swing that way." Dean says.

"Now, that's funny." Henriksen says.

"You know, I wouldn't bust out the melted butter just yet. Couldn't catch us at the bank, couldn't keep us in that jail."

"You're right. Screwed up. I underestimated you. I didn't count on you being that smart, but now I'm ready."

"Yeah, ready to lose us again?"

"Ready like a court order to keep you in a super maximum prison in Nevada till trial. Ready like isolation in a soundproof, windowless cell, so that between you and me... probably unconstitutional. Ready to throw your kid in the foster system and she'll never see either of you again." Henriksen looks at Sam who sits up at him talking about Evie. "How's that for ready? Take a good look at Sam. You two will never see each other again. Aw, where's that smug smile, Dean? I want to see it."