chapter thirty-nine

Sam is at the table in the motel room reading a book and Evie is sat across from him doing school. They hear the Impala pull up outside and Dean walks in after a few moments. He completely ignores Sam's existence since their fight last night. Sam immediately stands up and Dean grabs his pack, beginning to pack his stuff.

"Dean, what are you doing?" Sam asks. Dean ignores him, continuing to pack. "What, are you-- are you leaving?"

"You don't need me. You and Ruby go fight demons." Dean states. His harsh tone makes Evie look up from her schoolwork.

"Hold on. Dean, come on, man." Sam tries to stop Dean, but the older one only turns and punches Sam hard in the face making Evie jump and whimper a bit. Sam stands up after a moment.

"You satisfied?" Sam asks. Dean punches him just as hard a second time, Evie flinching again, her eyes squeezing shut. "I guess not."

"Do you even know how far off the reservation you've gone? How far from normal? From human?" Dean asks.

"I'm just exorcising demons." Sam says.

"With your mind! What else can you do?" Dean asks.

"I can send them back to Hell. It only works with demons and that's it." Sam states. Dean grabs a hold of him and pushes him backwards.

"What else can you do?!" Dean yells.

"I told you!" Sam shouts back, getting out of his grip.

"And I have every reason in the world to believe that." Dean says.

"Look, I should have said something. I'm sorry, Dean. I am. But try to see the other side here." Sam says.

"The other side?"

"I'm pulling demons out of innocent people."

"Use the knife!"

"The knife kills the victim! What I do, most of them survive! Look, I've saved more people in the last 5 months than we save in a year."

"That what Ruby want you to think? Huh? Kind of like the way she tricked you into using your powers? Does she know anything about this?" Dean asks, pointing at Evie. "What, ask your 4 year old daughter to lie to me too?!"

"She doesn't know anything until now! It's not like I rant to my toddler, kindergarten child! She didn't even know you were in Hell!" Sam yells, mostly because Dean brought Evie into the subject.

"Slippery slope, brother. Just wait and see. Because it's gonna get darker and darker, and God knows where it ends." Dean says.

"I'm not gonna let it get that far." Sam tells him.

Dean smiles, although it's not of happiness, and he goes over to the wall. He hits the lamp on the side table, it going flying along with a few other things. The lamp shade detaches from the lamp and crashes into Evie making her curl up a little and the lamp body just barely misses her.

Dean doesn't notice that Evie was in the line of fire, but Sam does and tries to go to her, before Dean stops him.

"It's already gone too far, Sam. If I didn't know you... I would wanna hunt you." Dean states. Sam tears up, nodding at his brother's words. "And so would other hunters."