chapter eleven

They're work a case and they arrive at an auction house and Sam is holding Evie. They walk around, looking at all the different stuff and Dean takes some food from a tray.

"Consignment auctions, estate sales. Looks like a garage sale for Wasps if you ask me." Dean says, getting more food from the tray as a man walks up behind them.

"Can I help you gentlemen... and girl?" The man asks.

"I'd like some champagne please." Dean says in a posh voice, his mouth full of food.

"He's not a waiter." Sam sharply tells his brother. "I'm Sam Connors." He holds his hand out, but the man doesn't shake it so Sam takes it back. "This is my daughter Evie and that's my brother Dean. We're art dealers with Connors Limited."

"You. Are... art dealers?" The man asks in an unbelievable voice.

"That's right." Sam nods.

"I'm Daniel Blake, this is my auction house. Now gentlemen, this is a private showing, and I don't remember seeing you on the guest list. Especially the child." The man says.

"We're there chuckles, you just need to take another look." Dean says. "oh. Finally." He sees a waiter pass them with glasses of champagne and he takes one. Dean sniffs the glass before walking away.

"Cheers." Sam quickly follows his brother giving him dirty looks.

They resume looking around and see a painting of a family.

"It a little creepy." Evie states, lightly hugging her dad.

"A fine example of American Primitive, wouldn't you say?" They hear a feminine voice ask. They all turn to see a woman in a sleek, classy black dress walking down a spiral staircase. Both the boys stare at her until she reaches the end of the staircase and Sam turns back to the painting.

"Well, I'd say it's more Grant Wood than Grandma Moses. But you knew that, you just wanted to see if I did." Sam says.

"Daddy smart." Evie says, patting his cheek a few times making him and the woman chuckle.

"Guilty. And clumsy. I apologize. I'm Sarah Blake." The woman says.

"I'm Sam. This is my... brother, Dean." Sam stares at his brother who keeps eating stuff from the trays. "And daughter, Evie." Sam introduces.

"Dean. Can we get you some more mini quiche?" Sarah asks.

"I'm good, thanks." He replies, eating. Sarah turns to Sam.

"So, can I help you with something?"

"Yeah, actually. What can you tell us about the Telesca estate?" Sam asks.

"The whole thing's pretty grisly if you ask me, selling your things this soon. But dad's right about one thing, sensationalism brings out the crowds. Even the rich ones." Sarah states.

"Is it possible to see the provenances?" Sam asks.

"I'm afraid there isn't any chance of that." Blake states, walking up behind them.