chapter twenty-five

The three Winchesters are in their motel room. Sam is sitting on the couch with Evie on his lap who cradles her now 3 legged dog, the fourth leg next to them on the couch. Dean is sitting on Sam and Evie's bed, eating chili cheese fries.

"Dude, you mind not eating those on my bed?" Sam asks, annoyed.

"No, I don't mind." Dean says, eating more. "How's research going?"

"You know how it's going? Slow. You know how it would go a heck of a lot faster? If I had my computer." Sam says.

"Hmm." Dean sarcastically nods.

"Can you turn that down please?" Sam asks, nodding to the radio.

"Yeah, absolutely." Dean turns the music up.

"You know what? Maybe, uh, maybe you should just go somewhere for a while." Sam loudly tells him.

"Hey, I'd love to." Dean says, turning the radio off. "That's a great idea. Unfortunately, my car's all screwed to hell."

"Dean, I told you I have nothing to do wi--"

Sam's cut off by a knock on the door. He stands up, holding Evie, and he looks through the peephole before opening it to reveal Bobby.

"Hey, Bobby." Sam greets.

"Boys. Peanut." Bobby greets, walking in.

"Hey, Bobby." Dean stands, walking over to them.

"it's good to see you again so soon." Bobby says.

"Yeah, uh, thanks for coming. Come on in." Sam tells him and Dean shakes Bobby's hand.

"Thank God you're here." The older brother says.

"So um, what didn't you want to talk to me on the phone about?" Bobby asks.

"It's the job we're working. We weren't sure you'd believe us." Sam says.

"Well, I can believe a lot." Bobby says.

"Yeah, no, no, it's just, we've never seen anything like it--"

"Not even close." Dean cuts his brother off.

"And we thought we could use some fresh eyes."

"Well, why don't you begin at the beginning?" Bobby suggests.

"Yeah, um, all right." Sam gestures to Dean's bed and Bobby sits on the edge of it, moving an empty takeout tray out of the way in the process.

"So, it all started when we caught win of an obit. See, a professor took a nosedive from a fourth story window, only there's a campus legend that the building's haunted. So we pretexted as reporters from the local paper." Sam goes on with the story.

- - -

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold on a minute." Dean interjects his story after a bit.

"What?" Sam asks.

"Come on, dude, that's not how it happened."