chapter ten

Dean is driving and Sam is asleep next to him while Evie sits in her car seat, working on a coloring book.

Dean places a plastic spoon in Sam's mouth and takes a picture before he turns the music up making Evie jump, singing along. Sam jumps awake, panicking after realizing something's in his mouth and he waves his arms, spitting the spoon out. Dean drums along to the song on the steering wheel. Sam turns the music down, looking back to check on Evie, seeing her unsettled look by the loud music. After turning it down, she returns to her coloring book and Sam turns to his brother.

"Ha ha, very funny." Sam sarcastically states and Dean laughs.

"Sorry, not a lot of scenery here in East Texas, kinda gotta make your own." Dean says.

"Man we're not kids anymore, Dean. We're not going to start that crap up again." Sam says.

"Start what up?" Dean asks.

"That prank stuff. It's stupid, and it always escalates." Sam says.

"Aw, what's the matter, Sammy, scared you're going to get a little Nair in your shampoo again, huh?" Dean asks.

"All right, just remember you started it." Sam says.

"Bring it on, baldy."

"Where are we anyway?"

"A few hours outside of Richardson. Gimme the lowdown again."

"All right, about a month or two ago this group of kids goes poking around in this local haunted house."

"Haunted by what?"

"Apparently, a pretty misogynistic spirit. Legend goes, it takes girls and strings them up in the rafters. Anyway this group of kids see this dead girl hanging in the cellar."

"Anybody ID the corpse?"

"Well, that's the thing. By the time the cops got there the body was gone. So cops are saying the kids were just yanking chains."

"Maybe the cops are right."

"Maybe, but I read a couple of the kids' firsthand accounts. They seemed pretty sincere."

"Where'd you read these accounts?"

"Well, I knew we were going to be passing through Texas. So, um, last night, I surfed some local... paranormal websites. And I found one."

"And what's it called?"

"HellHoundsLair.com."

"Lemme guess, streaming live out of mom's basement."

"Yeah, probably."

"Yeah. Most of those websites wouldn't know a ghost if it bit 'em in the persqueeter."

"Look. We let dad take off. Which was a mistake, by the way. And now we don't know where the hell he is, so meantime we gotta find outselves something to hunt. There's no harm checking this thing out."

"All right. So where do we find these kids?"

"Same place you always find kids in a town like this."