˗ˋ 10

CHAPTER TEN

-: fifth year :-

── IN WHICH IT CONTINUES

. . .

Heads bounced back and forth like they were watching a tennis match, looking from Mrs Weasley to Sirius as the argument continued. "I don't intend to tell him more than he needs to know, Molly," said Sirius. "But as he was the one who saw Voldemort come back he has more right than most-"

"And what about Aviana? Considering who else was present on that night?" Mrs Weasley asked, and beside Sirius, Aviana rolled her eyes, her expression dropping into seemingly nothingless as Mrs Weasley's alert eyes landed on the Rosier girl. 

"I know my dad was there. He told me himself. And then he went and killed a muggle so he's in Azkaban." Aviana said plainly, and silence followed. "I do know about what my dad has done, and I understand that it might be awkward to talk about Voldemort around me, but let's be honest I probably know more than anyone in here."

"Aviana, you can't think that you know more than the Order?" Molly began, and Aviana shrugged. 

"I had history lessons when I grew up." She said. "And I did try to leave, but do what you will, it's not like I'm going to let anyone find out about me staying here, so I can't tell anyone anything you say either." 

"There we go!" Sirius practically beamed. "Aviana doesn't want anyone to know that she stayed with anyone in this room, so she can't tell anyone how she found anything else."

"But Harry's not a member of the Order of the Phoenix!" said Mrs Weasley. "He's only fifteen and-"

"— and he's dealt with as much as most in the Order," said Sirius, "and more than some -"

"No one's denying what he's done or what she knows!" said Mrs. Weasley, her voice rising, her fists trembling on the arms of her chair. "But he's - both of them are still -"

"They're not children." Sirius said impatiently.

"They're not adults either!" said Mrs. Weasley, the color risingin her cheeks. "He's not James, Sirius!"

Aviana's eyes widened, and she looked across at Harry. "I'm perfectly clear who he is, thanks, Molly," said Sirius coldly.

"I'm not sure you are!" said Mrs. Weasley. "Sometimes, the way you talk about him, it's as though you think you've got your best friend back!"

"What's wrong with that?" said Harry. Aviana agreed with his for once - Sirius had been alone in Azkaban for so many years, he finally had someone who he could talk to, so if he was acting in that way, surely it wasn't a problem.

"What's wrong, Harry, is that you are not your father, however much you might look like him!" said Mrs Weasley,her eyes still boring into Sirius. "You are still at school and adults responsible for you should not forget it! So is Aviana, no matter how much you might trust her word."

"Meaning I'm an irresponsible Godfather?" Sirius asked, deciding to ignore the part about Aviana and his trust.

"Meaning you've been known to act rashly, Sirius, which is why Dumbledore keeps reminding you to stay at home and — "

"We'll leave my instructions from Dumbledore out of this, if you please!" said Sirius loudly. 

"Arthur!" said Mrs. Weasley, rounding on her husband. "Arthur, back me up!" The attention flickered to the oldest Weasley, who did not speak at once. He took off his glasses and cleaned them slowly on his robes, not looking at his wife. Only when he had replaced them carefully on his nose did he say, "Dumbledore knows the position has changed, Molly. He said nothing about Aviana, Sirius is more knowledgable on the matters towards her, and he accepts that Harry will have to be filled in to a certain extent now that he is staying at headquarters—"

"Yes, but there's a difference between that and inviting him to ask whatever he likes!" Molly replied, not happy she wasn't getting the backing she had expected from her husband.

"Personally," said Lupin quietly, looking away from Sirius at last, as Mrs Weasley turned quickly to him, hopeful that finally she was about to get an ally, "I think it better that Harry... and Aviana I suppose, gets the facts - not all the facts, Molly, but the general picture - from us, rather than a garbled version from.. others."

 "Well," said Mrs. Weasley, breathing deeply and looking around the table for support that did not come, "well.. I can see I'm going to be overruled. I'll just say this: Dumbledore must have had his reasons for not wanting Harry to know too  much, and speaking as someone who has got Harry's best interests at heart —"

"He's not your son," said Sirius quietly. "And seeing as you've given up in fighting Aviana's position on this, I'd like to remind you that she's not your daughter either."

"He's as good as," said Mrs. Weasley fiercely. "Who else has he got?" The Rosier girl frowned when still, Molly seemed to have no arguments against her finding out.

"He's got me!" Sirius replied, Aviana noticing he was saying nothing more about her either, and didn't really look in her direction either.

"Yes," said Mrs. Weasley, her lip curling. "The thing is, it's been rather difficult for you to look after him while you've been locked up in Azkaban, hasn't it?"

Aviana practically choked on her spit at the harsh words, and Sirius began to rise from his chair, clearly and rightfully not happy with what Mrs Weasley had said.

"Molly, you're not the only person at this table who cares about Harry," said Lupin sharply. "Sirius, sit down." Mrs. Weasley's lower lip was trembling. Sirius sank slowly back into his chair, his face white. 

"I think Harry and Aviana ought to be allowed a say in this. They're old enough to decide for themselves." Lupin continued. 

"I want to know what's been going on." Harry said instantly, and everyone's gaze flickered over to Aviana. 

"I suppose.. I have nothing better to do and need something else to think about until September 1st." She shrugged. And that was that, Harry and Aviana would find out what had been happening in the Wizarding World since their depature back home at the end of June.

Since the horror of the third task of the Triwizard Tournament.

✧