˗ˋ 32

CHAPTER THIRTY TWO

-: fifth year :-

── IN WHICH SHE GETS TO HER ROOM

. . .

Aviana pushed past Draco and the group of first years, glaring at everyone who even dared to look her way. Making her way past a number of people, the girl made her way to the arched door and the down the long winding staircase.

It wasn't so long after the end of the feast, and as a result, she wasn't the only one making her way downn them. Being on the smaller side, Aviana could only put up with being jostled about, her shoes nowhere near appropariate for such a lengthy staircase.

"Merlin!" She hissed, as hit the stone wall, palms flattening on the cold bricks. "Look where you're going, would you?" She turned to the person who had pushed into her, rather taken aback to see it to be a fourth year Slytherin, who was scoffing at her reaction.

"What, planning on following in your father's footsteps?" He snarked, sneering at her. "Next time, you should watch where you're going." 

Aviana bit back a rather harsh reply, instead pushing past the boy's shoulder and continuing down the stairs. She should have been ready for this - should have been expected. Her father murdering the muggle was public news, and spread across the Wizarding World like the rumours of Voldemort's return.

She reached the long corridor at the end of the staircase, walking down to the end wall, eyes landing on a dark door. It was already open, so many people going in and out that the password hadn't yet been used except for the first time it had been entered that evening. 

Passing through the door, Aviana's eyes settled in the Slytherin common room, a familiar sight after such a long summer away from it.

It was a long, low underground room with rough stone walls and ceiling from which round, greenish lamps were hanging on chains. A fire was crackling under an elaboratel carved mantelpiece ahead of them, and almost every carved chair was filled with a student as they caught up with each other after the holidays.

Aviana instantly felt a homely comfort in her stomach, not replacing the upset that had been there but veiling it for just a moment. People were muttering as she entered the room, and even though Aviana had been planning on cooling down in the common room when she saw Pansy and Blaise sat by the fire, Aviana decided to head to her room.

Her feet twisted towards the staircase to the dorms, heading up the stairs to the fifth floor. As the Slytherin dorms were in the dungeon, there was room to expand. And as a result, the Slytherin dorms were a little different. 

They had a room each, along a lengthy semi-circle shaped corridor. Each year had a corridor, and were split along three levels. First, second and third were on the first level, fourth and fifth were on the second level and sixth and seventh were on the top floor. 

Aviana climbed up the stairs, stepping into the corridor for the fifth years, doors near the entrance slamming as she entered. "Oh-" Aviana's eyes widened slightly as she saw the doors closed, but didn't think too much of it - or tried not to. 

She headed down the corridor, eyes flickering from nameplate to nameplate on each of the doors. She finally came to the door labelled with her name and pushed it open, closing the door behind her instantly.

If they weren't in a school filled with magic, then the rooms would be tiny. But, with the help of multiple charms, they were a bit bigger, and were decorated in Slytherin themes. Dark green painted the walls, more of a muted version than the usual emerald. 

The room consisted of a double bed pressed up against the back wall, above the intricately decorated headboard was a thin gothic window that was completely black - the view of the lake dark at that time of night. Two bedside tables set next to the bed, with minimal decoration on top. There was a wardrobe set into the wall, beside the door into the ensuite bathroom.

And on the other side of the door was a dressing table, and on the back wall besides the door was a desk. Her trunk was sat on her bed, and deciding not to mope around, Aviana locked her door behind her and began to unpack. 

Soon enough the room felt more comfortable and homely, and Aviana settled down on her bed. After a summer that had started off strange, it soon descended down into chaos when her father went to jail. And not long after that, Aviana had moved in with a set of people that she had never imagined even being around with for more than necessary. 

And now she was back at Hogwarts, and Aviana found herself missing Number 12 Grimmauld Place. Which was somehow the most unexpected feeling.

But she had stayed there for a month straight, not being able to leave for that time. And Aviana decided to put it down to that. She had grown used to staying there, that was it.

Nothing else at all.