˗ˋ 38

CHAPTER THIRTY EIGHT

-: fifth year :-

── IN WHICH DETENTIONS ARE SCHEDULED

. . .

As much as Aviana's questions had caused Umbridge to be thoroughly disgruntled, she didn't let it show. Almost instantly, she had turned to Dean Thomas, asking for his name, which he gave.

"Well, Mr Thomas?" Umbridge continued, a wave of her hand indicating he could continue with his question as he lowered his own.

"Well, it's like Harry.. and Aviana said, isn't it?" Dean said, a smirk settling on the Rosier girl's face. Beside her, Draco rolled his eyes. "If we're goingto be attacked, it won't be risk-free -"

"I repeat," Professor Umbridge smiled in a veryirritating fashion at Dean, "do you expect to be attacked during my classes?" And when he tried to speak, she spoke over him; "I do not wish to criticize the way things have been run in this school," she said, an unconvincing smile stretching her wide mouth, "but you have been exposed to some very irresponsible wizards in this class, very irresponsible indeed - not to mention," she gave a nasty little laugh, "extremely dangerous half-breeds."

"Oh you have got to be kidding me." The smirk was replaced by an expression of anger as Aviana sat up in her seat, arm raised firmly in the air. 

"What are you doing now?" Draco hissed. "She's right - he was a werewolf Aviana."

"A werewolf who also helped me protect myself the entire year. You know what Draco, you can shove your little attitude up your arse. If you were my friend then you would support me on this. That woman is awful - can't you see it?" Aviana turned to him, Pansy and Blaise shifting uncomfortably in their seats. "I'm not asking you to actively speak up against her, just see it from my point of view."

"Fine." Draco muttered. "Defend the werewolf."

"I will do. Thanks." But Aviana didn't need to, Dean having already done it for her. 

"If you mean Professor Lupin," Dean piped up, words laced with anger, "he was the best professor we ever-"

"Hand, Mr Thomas!" Umbridge cast a scathing look over the class. "As I was saying - you have been introduced to spells that have been complex, inappropriate to your age group, and potentially lethal. You have been frightened into believing that you are likely to meet Dark attacks every other day-"

"No we haven't," Hermione interrupted, "we just-"

"Your hand is not up, Miss Granger!" Hermione put up her hand; Professor Umbridge turned away from her. "It is my understanding that my predecessor not only performed illegal curses in front of you, he actually performed them on you-" 

"Well, he turned out to be a maniac, didn't he?" Aviana scoffed, not bothering that Umbridge hadn't called on her. "We learnt loads - yet another fault of the Ministry that fake-Moody ended up being just that, someone under the influence of Polyjuice potion!"

"Miss Rosier. I have already warned you about your unnecessary comments." Umbridge spat. "It is not the Ministry's fault that that particular situation occurred. However, it is the the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be more than sufficient to get you through your examination, which, after all, is what school is all about." She paused, looking at another arm waving around. "And your name is?" She added.