˗ˋ 37

CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN

-: fifth year :-

── IN WHICH UMBRIDGE SPEAKS

. . .

As the group of fifth years reluctantly put away their wands, replacing them with pieces of parchment, quills and ink, Umbridge had opened her handbag and extracted her own wand, which was an unusually short one, and tapped the blackboard sharply with it; words appeared on the board at once: 

Defense Against the Dark Arts
A Return to Basic Principles.

"Merlin this lesson is going to kill me, I can already feel it." Aviana murmured, Pansy giving her a consoling pat on the back. The Rosier girl very almost knocked over her ink as she slumped against the desk, head resting against her arm.

"Well now, your teaching in this subject has been rather disrupted and fragmented, hasn't it?" Professor Umbridge started, turning to face the class with her hands clasped neatly in front of her. "The constant changing of teachers,many of whom do not seem to have followed any Ministry approved curriculum, has unfortunately resulted in your being far below the standard we would expect to see in your O.W.L.year." 

"Miss Rosier, wouldn't you deem it rather rude if I had asked you a question and then completely disregarded you?" Aviana stiffled a groan as Umbridge's voice rattled in her ears. "Sit up and pay attention please, it is a basic requirement."

Her knuckles were turning white from how tightly she was clutching her quill as she righted herself, determinedly staring at the desk rather than the teacher wearing a pink cardigan.

"Thank you, Miss Rosier." Umbridge cleared her throat and turned to the rest of the class. "You will be pleased to know, however, that these problems are now to be rectified. We will be following a carefully structured, theory centered, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic this year. Copy down the following, please." She rapped the blackboard again; the first message vanished and was replaced by: 

Course aims:
1. Understanding the principles underlying defensive magic.
 2. Learning to recognize situations in which defensive magic can legally be used.
3. Placing the use of defensive magic in a context for practical use.

For a couple of moments, the classroom was silent other than the scratching of quills. 

"Has everybody got a copy of Defensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkhard?" Umbridge asked upon them finishing writing out the aims. A dull murmur ran through the crowd of students as a reply. 

"I think we'll try that again." Professor Umbridge said, in the same horribly condescending tone she used at the beginning of the lesson. "When I ask you a question, I should like you to reply 'Yes, Professor Umbridge,' or 'No, Professor Umbridge.' So, has everyone got a copy of Defensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkhard?"

"Yes, Professor Umbridge," rang through the room. 

"Good." Umbridge's lips turned into an oddly-shaped smile for just a moment. "I should like you to turn to page five and read chapter one, 'Basics for Beginners.' There will be no need to talk."

Sharing a look with Blaise who was sat beside Draco in the desk beside them, Aviana slumped in her chair, balancing the open book in her hands and trying to read it. Her eyes kept skipping over words, concentration wavering and slipping off of the page.