Chapter 3

Ocean

It's been a couple of hours since I arrived at work, even breakfast time is long gone. I was so engrossed in sorting through the paperwork that I didn't even pay attention to what time it was, until the sound of my hungry stomach cracking me out of work.

The morning cup of coffee fed me to some extent, and the magic was done by the adrenaline on the occasion of my new job. Going to the canteen is a good way to get in touch with colleagues and expand acquaintances and connections in company. But the reason for my coming here is not making friends with anyone. Just mere survival.

With one shake of my head, I pushed those thoughts away and continued to enter data from documents into computer programs. Computer science and business correspondence classes from school are very welcome now.

The knock on the door of my little office merged with the knock on my laptop keyboard, so I didn't notice when the friendly-minded Mr. Jaxon cleared his throat with a doorknob in his hand.

"Mr. Atkinson, I'm sorry, I didn't hear you when you came in. I immersed myself so much in the work. . . ''

I got up from my chair nervously, flapping my arms too much. In all that gesture, I managed to knock down a pile of papers scattered on the floor.

''Oh God.''

The blush spread to my cheeks, as fast as the heat that erupted on my face. Out of shame. I quickly bent down and gathered the papers, putting them back on the table.

When I finally found the strength to raise my head in shame, I came across a smiling Jaxon's face. His smile was so carefree, showing all the pearl whiteness of his perfect teeth. It embarrassed me even more and I closed my eyes shaking my head as if I wanted to shake this moment out of my memory.

Definitely pressing delete and sending to the recycle bin. Enter.

"Ocean, I had no idea I was so intimidating, I had no intention of scaring you."

I put strands of disheveled hair behind my ears and "ironed" the paper in front of me on the table with my hands. I raised my head and looked him straight in the almond-colored eyes that were perfectly carved on his face.

"Mr. Atkinson, of course you're not intimidating. The thing is, I didn't have breakfast and caffeine on an empty stomach somehow managed to make me nervous and clumsy with my hands. If that makes sense. . .I still managed to embarrass myself on the first day. ''

"Every worker has the right to take a break and have breakfast. I know what it's like when work chases you, but you can't be hungry. Neither you nor anyone else. I'll call Jane to get you some pastries from the canteen. "

Jane. . . she will be "delighted" that Mr. Atkinson is "taking care" of me. I'm sure she'll put some poison in it along the way. If possible. Anyway, very thoughtul on his part to take care of his employees.

"Thank you, sir, but there's really no need."

He straightened up, and his demeanor became a little serious.

"Of course it is necessary. A satisfied worker is a good worker. A good worker makes a company good. "

I didn't know that company owners could be so careful. They are mostly described as egocentric, arrogant bastards, who torment their workers. How lucky I was to get a job at all, and a good boss too.

"Finally, I came to bring you these documents. Read and study them well. Collect the documentation indicated in the attachment. Tomorrow morning we have an important meeting with business partners. I called you but you didn't answer. "

He finished his sentence, slowly approaching my desk and leaning over. I looked at him in wonder.

"Here's where the problem is, for some reason the cable from your phone isn't plugged in.

Strange.  From now on, I expect you to answer every call I make. By the end of the day, your business email will be activated too. "

Jane. . . that frigid bitch.

"Oh, I'm really sorry, I didn't know the phone wasn't working. I will study everything and be ready for tomorrow's meeting, don't worry sir. "

He nodded and left my office. I threw myself into a chair, turning it toward the large window behind my back. The sky was intersected by the endless smoke lines of the plane's engine. The cars formed columns on the hot asphalt. All these people had some goals, some plans. Some hopes. They were rushing somewhere, to something, to someone.

I hope that destiny has some better plans for me and that the next game will deal me some better cards.