Chapter 42

Ocean

As I walked along the dusty sidewalk and as the veil of the dark night fell on my shoulders like a notorious predator, I kept looking behind my shoulders thinking that Kaden or his men would grab me.

My last words must have shaken him deeply. I closed my eyes tightly and shook my head. I don't know how it occurred to me to lie to him that I am carrying his child. But desperate times call for desperate measures. At least I secured my life. For now.

There was really no one around me. No one really followed me as I dragged myself to the road encountering dozens of cars in the meantime.

Every time I saw the headlights, I would look up to make sure it wasn't a Kaden. I finally got to the gas station, where I told Jaxon to wait for me.

And indeed, he was waiting for me there leaning on his black Audi.

I hadn't felt too close to Jaxon until now, even though I knew he was my brother. However, these things cannot just happen. But at that moment I needed support, which I knew he could give me.

"Ocean, what you look like, what happened to you?"

I flew into his arms and leaned against his chest. My smudged makeup revealed my shed tears.

"Jaxon, just take me home and don't ask me anything for now. I beg you."

We got in the car, Jaxon was visibly upset and worried about me. He sat next to me and addressed the driver.

'' Drive to her apartment, it is located in. . . ''

At that moment, it occurred to me that Kaden would look for me there first and that I was not safe there at all. I grabbed Jaxon's arm lightly, forcing him to stop the talking and look at me.

"Jaxon, I can't go home."

He looked at me penetratingly, studying my face. He probably realized that now was not the time for additional questions.

"Russell, drive us home."

I nodded in gratitude I mouthed a Thank you.

I leaned back in the leather seat, trying to relax. I tried to change position a couple of times, but nothing helped. My head started to ache from the tension, I was sleep deprived, since I was running in the middle of the night.

At that moment a feeling of nausea filled all my senses, forcing me to wrap my arms around my neck. I tried to breathe slowly through my nose, but the feeling of nausea did not pass.

"Jaxon, please stop the car."

Jaxon winced from his thoughts and patted Russell on the shoulder.

"Russell, stop the car now!"

When I felt that the car was no longer moving, I quickly opened the door and let it all come out of me. Jaxon approached me and pulled a couple of strands of hair that fell over my face, threatening to be wrapped in my vomit.

"Here you go."

When I finally caught my breath, Jaxon was already waiting for me with a handkerchief.

"Thank you and I'm sorry."

I raised my head and threw myself roughly back into the seat. I was taken away. Simply the stress of this dark night finally reached me. I had to get everything out of my System.

"Ocean, I know now is not the time, but I think you have to tell me what it's about."

I turned my head and looked him straight in the eyes. I didn't have the strength to open my mouth, I was exhausted beyond measure.

"Jaxon, I promise I'll tell you everything. But please wait until morning. I don't have the strength to relive all the events of tonight. "

"If you tell me that asshole Ian had something to do with this, I swear to you. . . ''

'' Shhh. . . ''

I put my finger to his mouth.

''Please. In the morning, okay? "

His dark expression stood out in the darkness that surrounded us. He just nodded to me and motioned to Russell that we could go.

I stared out the window as the night sky slowly began to be intersected with the faint morning rays. Little by little, the light drove the darkness away.

But the darkness that shone in me had no intention of being replaced by light.

I soon fell asleep and everything became. . . so dark.

I was awakened by a warm bed and Jaxon sitting in a chair across from my bed, deep in his thoughts.

''Good morning.''

His gaze flew quickly towards me, when he saw that I woke up.

"It would be more correct, good afternoon, since it's already 3pm."

I straightened quickly, looking for a clock on the nightstand. It really was afternoon. How much did I sleep that?

An uncomfortable silence reigned, for neither of us knew how to begin the story. Finally Jaxon broke the silence.

'' Ocean, maybe it's not the right time to ask questions because you may not have come to your senses yet, but. . . I'm afraid for you. "

I took a deep breath and squeezed the sheets tightly, slowly pulling them away.

'' Jaxon. . . I. . . ''

'' I. . . Kaden. . . ''

When he heard his name, he frowned and leaned his body towards me.

"Ocean, what about you and Kaden?"

My lips quivered as I tried to form something that would look like a sentence.

"We were in a relationship."

Jaxon got up abruptly and walked towards me.

'' Ocean what are you talking about? Why didn't you tell me that earlier? "

I started to tighten that blanket even tighter and finally jumped out of bed and stood next to him.

'' Jaxon, listen to me. You were my boss until recently, I don't understand why I would tell you these things. And I. . . didn't know until last night that Kaden was actually. . . in the mafia. . . just like you.''

"Hell Ocean, of all people, you had to be with him?"

Jaxon roared angrily and I unknowingly winced, genuinely frightened at that moment.

'' Sorry, Ocean, it's just. . . he is not a man for you. Although we currently have some joint work that we do on behalf of the mafia, it is evident that we do not tolerate each other and. . . ''

I approached Jaxon slowly.

'' I didn't know Jaxon. . . until yesterday when I found out Ian was working for him. That he is the one who blackmailed my head and is trying to reach you through me. "

'' What are you talking about Ocean? Ian doesn't. . . ''

Suddenly our conversation was interrupted by the sound of gunfire heard from the yard and somewhere in the house. Jaxon quickly pulled his gun from his belt.

"Hide under the bed, quick!"

I was unable to take a single step because at that moment the door wide opened and Kaden entered with a gun pointed at Jaxon.

His gaze flew from Jackson to me. His expression was devastating and angry. Surprised. 

"So you've been having sex with Jaxon behind my back all this time?"