Chapter 4

Ocean

I came home from work and threw my exhausted body on the couch in the living room. Although I physically felt the fatigue spreading and coming to every nerve ending, I still felt fulfilled and happy. Happy? That feeling hasn't inhabited my mind in a long time.

I took off my shoes and left the purse next to me still not having the strength to get up and take a shower. My body has been in a spasm of worry for so long, that it looks a little relaxed now because there was hope for me.

A loud knock on the door caused me to jump out of the couch and once again my body was in a state of high danger.

It took them a long time.

I took a deep breath, trying to pull myself together, and headed for the door to unlock it. After the eerie creaking of my rusty door, even more eerie three faces stood behind them.

I stepped aside, clearing the way for them to pass. They passed me without saying a word. Ian leaned back on the couch while his two gorillas remained standing beside him, guarding him. It's like I'm going to attack him, like I have a chance at all.

He pulled out his silver lighter and lit a cigarette. He took a puff of smoke, tilting his head and looking at me sharply. Scary. Dark.

''Long time no see. It looks like an eternity. "

I looked him straight in the eyes too, as my heart galloped a thousand miles an hour.

"You know what they say, time is money."

I swallowed a lump that stuck in my throat.

"It means your debt has gone up. Interest rates are rising day by day. "

I spoke, my voice breaking through all the barricades in my throat that the stress had caused.

"I found a good job. I promise to repay the part soon. Please have mercy and patience. "

He put out a cigarette on my coffee table and stood up, towering me with his large build and scent that smelled like an end. Bitter end.

"I had the patience and more than I needed to."

He came dangerously close, his dark aura enveloping me like a veil of death. He grabbed me by the neck and the next moment I was already fighting for air.

"You have until the end of the month. If you do not repay the ENTIRE debt by then. . . ''

He looked at me as if to expose my soul and tightened his grip even tighter. I felt like I was starting to turn blue.

"The first day of next month will be your funeral."

With those words he let me go, and I fell to the floor holding on to my neck and fighting for air. Curled up on the cold tiles, I watched him walk through the door as his gorillas followed him.

Tears streamed down my face and strands of hair clung to my wet cheeks. I gathered my strength and with kneeling knees, I dragged myself to the door and closed it.

I leaned my back against them and slid to the floor, choking on tears.

By the end of the month? I will never be able to raise the entire amount by the end of the month. That is simply impossible. Even if I asked for a loan from a company, no one would give me that amount of money.

Mission Impossible.

Although a small part of me whispered to me to give up, surrender to fate, quit my job and live through these month of life that I literally had left, there was the other part.

That part of ourselves that we are not even aware we have. The part that makes us move forward, the part that doesn't let us give up. The part that makes us fight, no matter how small the chances of success are.

And at that moment, as a cascade of tears flowed down my face, I made up my mind. To fight. I wiped away my tears and stood up, filling my lungs with the sighs of a warrior, the air of hope. 

It's not over until it is the end.

I went to the bathroom and let the jet of hot water wash away all my doubts, all my hesitations. I'm not ready to die, there were so many things waiting for me to experience them. Love. Happiness.

I have never been sincerely in love, I never had a boyfriend. I want that. 

My upbringing was such that I didn't even think of having a relationship, given the threats of my alcoholic father. And it's not that the guys didn't flirt with me and invited me to dates. But the truth is that I barely managed to have a couple of friends. Boyfriend would be too much of a risk. For both of us.

I wrapped my long hair in a towel and covered myself with a bathrobe. I leaned back comfortably on the soft mattress and made a promise to myself that I would not give up. That I will fight.

I decided to change into my pajamas and go to bed to go through the documents for tomorrow's meeting once more.

After a few hours, when my eyes were already heavy and tired, I put the papers on the nightstand and turned off the lamp.

This time the darkness that sleep offered me,  was comforting, almost relaxing.