Chapter 25

Ocean

A new week has begun. Monday proudly ascended to its throne, forcing millions of people to rush to their offices, sleepy, tired and grumbling all the way to their work.

But not me. I could hardly wait for Monday, to divert my thoughts, getting lost in the sea of ​​work. After everything that had happened in the last few days, I needed distraction.

The elevator door opened and I was greeted by an empty reception desk. Strange. Jane's annoying face was not there to greet me and provoke my urge to vomit.

Whatever. A crowd of people sat in front of the reception, nervous and impatient. Her phone was ringing incessantly and I felt like I was in the middle of some stock market. Too much noise and nervousness from the early, not to forget, Monday morning.

I walked into my office and just as I was leaving my things, my phone rang.

"Ocean, come to my office."

"Right away, sir."

I didn't even manage to turn on my laptop, and at least mentally prepare for the start of this busy workweek with one big cup of coffee.

As I moved to Jaxon's office, I felt a little uneasy, because of our encounter at the club. He didn't do anything wrong, but for some reason I felt uneasy about the way our relationship deepened and became less businesslike.

Although, maybe I took this job too seriously and it never occurred to me that the bosses were just ordinary people. With a few hundred millions surplus.

I knocked twice and opened the door to his office. He sat at his desk, flailing his arms over a pile of papers, visibly on the edge of his nerves.

''Good morning sir.''

"Sit Ocean."

He told me, taking out a piece of paper from the pile, and sighed in relief as he massaged his forehead with his fingers.

''Here it is. Ocean, you must have noticed that Jane didn't come to work today."

I nodded and frowned slightly, waiting for the rest of his story.

'' Unfortunately, Jane's sister had a serious car accident last night. Her condition is critical and the question is whether she will survive. "

I made a grimace, shaping my lips into an "o" shape and putting my hand over them.

''It is horrible.''

He took off his glasses and rested his elbows on the table. He put his lips over his crossed fists and looked at me penetratingly.

"Given the situation, I thought it was fair to give her leave as long as necessary. That's why I need you. "

I wasn't breathing normally, still recovering from the sad news he told me. Although I didn't like Jane, in grief, people get closer and somehow forget their disagreements.

"I trust you the most. So I would ask you to work at her workplace for a while. You will do part of your and her work, so that everything runs perfectly. Is that a problem for you? "

I straightened my back and shoulders, my attitude became more serious.

"Of course, it's not a problem, sir."

He leaned back in his chair, visibly more relaxed.

"Great. If you don't understand something, you can just ask me, although you'll find my entire schedule and everything it takes to get organized on her computer."

He looked me in the eyes, his demeanor became quite friendly.

"So, how was your Friday? I didn't expect to see you there, I didn't know you were clubbing."

Again a feeling of unease settled in my body. I quickly tried to suppress it because he didn't ask anything bad.

"Believe it or not, it was my first time going out to a club."

I wrinkled my nose and started laughing. A girl in her twenties, for the first time in a club.

''Impossible! Well, then I sincerely hope you had a good time. "

I blushed a little and started looking at the palm of my hands.

"Did I say or do something wrong? I didn't want you to feel uncomfortable. "

His expression became wonder- struck, but soon after, his features relaxed.

''No. . . though, honestly. . . I'm a little uncomfortable. "

He was amazed.

''Why? Do I make you feel uncomfortable? "

I opened my lips to say something, then closed them and made a silly expression on my face. Am I really having this conversation with my boss?

'' It's not up to you, just. . . I'm a little embarrassed to have a relaxed relationship with you. I see you as a boss. And that thought is a little foreign to me. "

I said honestly, taking the burden off my soul.

'' Ocean, there's no need for you to feel that way. I thought we could have a friendly relationship, since you're only a few years younger than me. We spend so much time together during the day, that I didn't want you to feel a lot of pressure me being your boss"

He paused for few moments.

‚‚I thought we could be friends. "

He said the last sentence somewhat devastatingly. Again, he shattered the prejudice that CEOs are ruthless, arrogant billionaires who tear everyone around. Well maybe I shouldn't be so rigid.

"But if that bothers you, I'll limit our relationship to purely business."

His face became serious and his demeanor restrained. Slightly hurt. I didn't know what to tell him.

''Take these invoices. You can go. "

He gave me a pile of papers not looking in my direction. The man offered me a hand of friendship and I refused. He put on his glasses and kept typing something in his laptop.

I took the papers and got up. I stood like that a few moments, looking at him and then I came out.

A madhouse was waiting for me at the reception. People were asking me all at once, the phone was ringing constantly.  I didn't know what to do first.

I heard Yoda's voice in my head

‚‚May the force be with you‚‚