Chapter 12

Ocean

'' Miss Ocean! What happened to your face? Are you ok?''

The concealer didn't seem to have done its job well enough. Pale blue color appeared in the hints under several layers of make-up.

Jaxon, confused and worried, got up from his chair when I came to his office to bring him the invoices that had arrived in the mail.

''It's nothing.''

I said groping the marked spot on my cheek.

"I fell in the bathroom. The tiles were slippery and wet and I was careless. Stupid of me. "

I pretend to smile, quickly dropping a pile of papers from my hands onto his desk.

He leaned toward me, with his both hands resting on the table. After studying me for a few moments, the frown disappeared from his face and softened a bit. He sat back in his chair, moving closer to the table and still looking at me significantly.

"Be more careful next time, you got away only with a bruise this time. It could have ended much worse. "

It could have ended. Worse. Much worse. If it wasn't for Kaden. I thought to myself.

"This was a lesson to me, next time I'll be really more careful."

Although the next time could be fatal to me. My inner voice continued to preach.

I returned to my office and tried not to go outside of it unnecessarily until the end of working hours. Today I even skipped going to breakfast. I wasn't ready to be the subject of gossip.

She must have had an argument with her boyfriend and that escalated into a fight. Who knows what kind of guys she drags with. . . and other nonsense that people like to think and spread around as the main gossip.

The night had already begun to paint the sky with its dark tones when I returned home. As in the movies, I turned around often, afraid that someone would attack me from behind.

Do I want to live like this for the rest of my life? Even if it was a couple of weeks. I do not want. But the fear was stronger.

I walked down the hall at the end of which was my door. The light flickered and did me no good. The blood in my veins froze. I swallowed hard, walking cautiously toward the door.

Needless to say, I was out of my mind with fear, terrified by the previous experience.

When I reached the door I felt a little relieved. Rummaging trought my purse, I found the keys and brought them to the door lock. I opened ajar the door, ready to enter the apartment.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and my breath caught in my throat. A loud scream echoed down the hall.

I felt someone put his hand over my mouth and someone's body from behind pushed me inside.Suddenly, the light came on and the hands of the unknown assailant left me.

"What the fuck?"

I turned and saw Kaden with a half-smile on his face.

''Are you crazy? What are you doing? I thought I was going to die! "

I approached him, slapping him on the chest with my hands. Without any strain, he grabbed me by the wrists, nailing me to him.

''Let me go!''

He brought me even closer to him, his voice cold, steady and measured.

"Calm down first."

I tried to wriggle out of his grip for a few more moments, and when I saw that I was failing at it miserably, I surrendered and my hands relaxed.

''That's better.''

He let go of me and I ran my palms over my wrists, where I felt the strength of his grip.

"What are you doing here, why did you come? What it is all about?''

I asked him angrily and at the same time confused. What exactly is he doing here? While I was following his every move, he strode to the couch and sat down, spreading his legs, reclining comfortably in the corner with both hands spread out on the backrest.

The black blouse hugged his muscles perfectly and intensified the mystique of his body even more. Hell, I almost jumped into his lap and devour him, hungry absorbing his part by part.

But the moment was wrong, even for such thoughts. Think sober you horny ass!

"And?"

I asked him, pushing the urge to straddle him, somewhere deep in my mind.

"That's what I wanted to ask you. What it is about.''

He looked me straight in the eyes, lustfully and coldly.

'' You know something. . . I couldn't leave things as they are. Unfinished. Something just made me dig and find out more. "

I swallowed a lump in my throat.

'' Your miserable attempt to hide a bruise on your neck. Attack. Your bruised stomach. Face. I just couldn't stop finding out more. "

I inhaled and turned my back on him. I went to the kitchen and poured us a glass of some old whiskey, which belonged to my father. But which he didn't get a chance to drink.

I approached him with some sudden rush of confidence. I was no longer afraid. And why should I? It will be over soon. It will be over soon with me.

I sat down on a chair across from him, leaving his drink on the coffee table. He took a glass and took a sip. I approached the glass to my lips and in one quick motion i drank it.

The bitter liquid slid down my throat, producing a bitter taste and stinging. I've never tried alcohol, and now it's clear to me why.

He followed my every move and smiled almost imperceptibly when he saw my wrinkled face as I put the empty glass back on the table.

"You asked me why I came. I'll be honest and tell you that I don't know. I'm not sure. I can't understand what it is that I feel. But I'm sure I'll find out tonight what's hiding behind your green eyes. "

Do I want to tell him? Do I have a choice? I opened my mouth, but my tongue seemed to thicken.

"The thing is. . . ''