Chapter 5

Ocean

The morning sun seemed to erase the traces of my almost nervous breakdown yesterday. Nothing that this beautiful morning offered reminded me of the unpleasant event of last night. Except for the bruises and fingerprints that remained on my neck as a reminder that it was all real after all.

After getting dressed and putting on my make-up, I chose one pretty, modern scarf from my wardrobe that I tied around my neck, expertly concealing any trace of the danger lurking around the corner.

Although the darkness kept dragging me into its lair, I was suddenly overwhelmed with positive thoughts and attitude.

Like déjà vu , the sound of the elevator echoed and the first thing that greeted me was Jane's "smiling" face.

'' Good morning Jena. You look wonderful today. "

I chirped and left her in awe, obviously unable to process what I just told her. Confuse your enemy. The best tactic. And after all, I will not allow anyone to spoil this unexpected rush of positivity that has overwhelmed me.

I settled down at my desk and went through the emails I had received since yesterday. Just as I took my first sip of hot and intoxicating coffee, my phone rang.

''Yes sir?''

'' Ocean, be in the Conference Room in five minutes and see if anything is missing. I will be coming soon, as will our partners. "

"Of course, sir."

I checked once more that all the documents were there and headed for the conference room on the floor above.

The large sunny room consisted of a large oval table, framed by leather chairs of modern design. On one wall was an installed video beam, while on the corners were a water machine and low shelves. The windows looked out at the tall skyscrapers that cut the sky with their sharp peaks.

I made sure everything was fine and turned to the door when I heard heavy footsteps. Mr. Atkinson entered the hall, wearing a navy blue suit, beautifully styled hairstyles. A young, successful and at the same time very pleasant man. Let's not forget the beautiful one.

He smiled at me and I smiled back.

"Everything is ready for the meeting, sir."

"Thank you Ocean, our partners are just about to come."

At that moment, the glass door opened and a group of business people filled the room. Each of them shook hands with Mr. Jaxon and then with me.

As I glanced over a group of people, hopelessly trying to remember the names of some of them, a somewhat familiar voice startled me from my mental agitation. Familiar, where from?

"Jaxon."

Familiar voice said.

"Good morning, Kaden. I hope you are in a better mood today, given how angry you came at yesterday's meeting. "

I turned my head sharply toward the source of that voice and froze in place. Angry? Yesterday? Him? Kaden?

At that moment, our eyes met and until then, his relaxed facial expression was replaced by sharp, slightly passionate facial features. His eyebrows furrowed, while in the foreground were his blue eyes that radiated the greatest depths of the sea. Their vortex seemed to want to drag me in once more, so I looked down further.

His full, red lips didn't affect me any better, arousing some uneasiness in me. The black, fitted suit and white shirt only accentuated his solid build and the obviously sculpted muscles that this material had unsuccessfully concealed.

"Don't worry Jaxon, I think I've found a solution to my problem."

He said looking at Mr. Atkinson and then wisely shifted his gaze towards me as he finished his sentence.

Is there no end to torment? Did it have to be him? Of all the people in this world, did I have to run into him and quarrel with him?

''And who is this?''

He asked Jaxon, and Mr. Atkinson turned to me.

"Very indecent of me. This is my new personal assistant, Miss Ocean Bailey. She will attend our meeting, too. "

Some twisted smile rumbled across his face as he approached me dangerously. When he stood in front of me, he extended his hand squinting his eyes at me with a dose of amusement.

"Miss Ocean, nice to meet you. At last.''

I held out my hand to him, though hesitantly.

The moment our palms joined, my throat started to dry and I felt weakness in my knees. My stomach was doing pirouettes and I was burning. Fuck, I was on fire.

He, on the other hand, remained cold and with an unchanged facial expression, dark and mysterious. He squeezed my hand harder than normal and almost caused me to groan softly.

He apparently warned me that I would not go unpunished for my "inappropriate behavior" in front of the elevator. Fuck him!

"It is all my pleasure, mister. . .? ''

I paused, waiting for him to finish the sentence.

'' Ward. Kaden Ward. Remember that name very well. "

The wicked smile didn't evaporate from his face, so I reciprocated. Jaxon stood beside us, almost confused, clearing his throat, which caused us to slowly let go of each other's hands, looking straight into each other's eyes for a few more moments.

"Since we're all present, let's start the meeting."

Mr. Atkinson said and everyone took their seats. I opened the folder and laptop in front of me and listened closely the ongoing conversation.

As Mr. Atkinson gave the introductory speech, I glanced across the table and stopped at Kaden. He was already staring at me. I stared at him too. Straight in the eyes.