[9]

Driving closer to the border, I checked the co-ordinates on my phone as my stomach clenched the closer we got to the destination

Driving closer to the border, I checked the co-ordinates on my phone as my stomach clenched the closer we got to the destination. This was somewhere I wasn't particularly excited to go, but I knew it was needed.

Pulling over on the side of the road, I got out of the car, frowning when I noticed skid marks on the road as if the rubber had burned into the ground and would be there forever.

I begged Mia and Dom to show me the pictures that they had from the FBI; that's how I knew how to find this place.  They were reluctant to tell me at first, but I needed to know.

This was the crash site, the place I was supposed to have died. This is where Rosalie did die, but it was the place that this new me was born.

Crouching down, I touched the mark as a few tears hit the black burn as before I stood, almost hearing the screeching of the tires as my car flew down the road. Dom wasn't very forthcoming with information, but that's what hacking was for.

I knew everything.

Closing my eyes, I stood in the middle of the road breathing in the fresh air as I just let myself be.

Pushing open my door, I tried to crawl out of the car, but I fell onto my back breathing heavily. Blood was dripping down my face and pain-wracked over me. I closed my eyes for a second as I tried to get air into my burning lungs. BANG!

Jumping out of the flashback, my eyes widened, seeing a truck honking its horn at me as it rapidly made its way closer to me as I stood in the middle of the road.

Diving to the right, I just about made it out of the way with a yell as the trucker blew it's horn angrily at me.

My chest heaved up and down as I tried to catch my breath. I could almost feel the fiery burn from the memory. Pulling out my keys with shaky hands, I got back into my car as I let out a sob.

I thought remembering all these things would make me feel better, but they weren't.

Driving back towards Mexico and away from the border, I tried so hard to keep myself pieced together and not fall apart. Maybe remembering everything wasn't the thing I had been missing out on.

Do I really need to put myself through this?

Hearing a ringing sound, I pull my phone out and answer it with a confused frown. I didn't recognize the number "Hello?"

"Rose? This is nurse Santos. We spoke at the medical clinic," I blinked; she must have found something if she called me, I gave her my number, but I wasn't actually expecting her to call.

"Yes."

"I just wanted to let you know I think I was able to find your records. The problem was that you were listed under a different name. It wasn't Rose Ortiz. It was under Rose Yashar".

"I'm really sorry about Gisele, Han," I say quietly.

"It's not your fault," he shrugs. "She liked you, you know?" I frowned at his words, "You impressed her, and she respected you for that."

"Rose? Are you still there?..." Pressing the end call button, I turned the wheel and parked the car as I breathed heavily, Gisele saved me and gave me her last name in the hospital, and I helped get her killed.

Maybe not directly, but it was enough for me.

It seemed that trying to find myself was leading me to places I now realized that I really didn't want to remember. Having a hand in the death of the woman who saved your life wasn't a great feeling.

Wiping away the tears that were falling, my eyes rested on my bag as I pulled out the journal Letty had given me. I glanced over the contents of the book as I came to a page with a picture – the crew was all there.

Turning a few more pages, I came across the 'pipeline destinations' page as I smiled, running a finger over the names of the places and the pictures Letty had stuck in the book.

The empty page loomed back at me as I frowned, remembering back to the barbecue not long after I had come back to America. My conversation with Han stuck out in my mind the most.

"I'm going to Tokyo," he announced suddenly as I glanced at him. "You're welcome to visit whenever you need to," he explained with a face of understanding.

Pulling my phone back out, I dialed the number of the person who had become a sort of confidant for me. He was always there when I called him.

It was time for me to do what I want to do and not worry about being Rosalie.

"Hey," Han greets as I bit my lip, looking over my Tokyo page, wondering if this was a good idea. Japan was definitely different from life in America, but maybe that's what I needed.

"Is your offer still good?" I asked without greeting him. He could probably tell by my tone of voice this wasn't for a friendly chat. I needed to get away from all this stuff, and Han seems to have done it. So why can't I?.

"You know it is. You're always welcome here," He answered as I nodded to myself, thinking up a plan. "Does Dom know?" I bit my lip at his questioning, knowing my family would be upset, but this wasn't about them right now.

"No, he doesn't, but I'll tell him. Give me a few days, and I'll be there" I hear Han make a noise of agreement as I sigh. "I really need to get away. Everything is too hard here," I let out a soft cry.

"Don't cry, baby girl, get your stuff ready, buy a ticket, and I'll pick you up from the airport," Han instructed as I wiped my tears, agreeing with him before we ended the call. Sighing, I raked my hands through my hair as I pick up the journal with a small smile.

Looks like I'll be filling in my last dream destination soon enough.

Next destination: Tokyo, Japan.