[2]

Sifting through some of the boxes titled 'Rosalie,' I sniffed, pushing back my tears

Sifting through some of the boxes titled 'Rosalie,' I sniffed, pushing back my tears. It was the same nightmare again, and again, Owen's terrified face would once again be at the forefront of my mind throughout the whole day.

It had been another failed night of finding anything about either Shaw brother, no death certificate for Owen, nor was there any information I could find about the heists. It was like the higher-ups were doing a major cover-up about it all.

I was running another hacking program as I riffled through the boxes Dom had put in my room to help tr and spark some memories, but not even my high school diploma or graduation tape gave me any hint of my old self.

Picking up a stray photograph, I jumped hearing a beep coming from my bed, dropping the picture back into the box. I turned to my laptop in horror as I noticed someone was trying to hack me!.

Quickly pushing my fingers against the keys, I fought back against the hacker as best I could. Whoever it was knew what they were doing. Taking short bits of information without pushing against my firewall too much.

I didn't understand why they were doing it though, was it someone who didn't want me finding out any of the information I was looking for?

Or maybe it was someone looking for me?

A tap on the door made me flinch as I closed the laptop and shoved it under the bed as I called out to whoever was behind the door, my brother's smiling face greeted me as he leaned against the door jam with his arms crossed "Any luck?".

"Not yet," I answered, picking the photograph back up out of the box. "I was just looking at this picture," I lied, waving the photo at him slightly. Dom moved to sit down next to me before letting out a short sad laugh taking the picture from my hand.

It looked like a family picture. Dom had his arms around Letty, Mia stood next to a gruff-looking guy and a smaller lanky grinning boy, and I was smiling brightly wrapped in the arms of a man who was laughing at something.

"Who are they?" I asked quietly as my brother had sat silently, just gazing at the print.

His eyes flicked to mine for a moment before smiling reminiscently. "That was Vince, our surrogate brother; I grew up with him. He was the first person to see you walk" Dom laughed as his eyes crinkled a little "He was terrified you would fall and would always follow you with open arms."

I smiled at the thought, the guy looked mean in this picture, but I guess the old saying was true 'never trust a book by its cover.'

"This one was Jesse" I nodded, seeing the thinner guy stood beside my sister happily. "I met him after I came out of Lompoc. He couldn't sit still for more than a minute, but his mind was amazing; he always had these new ideas for the cars."

Dom gave a small regretful sigh as his hand shook slightly when he talked about Jesse.

"and that is Leon," he pointed to the man who had his arms wrapped around the top half of a younger-looking me... Her?... Rosalie. "He came here with Jesse. Mia always liked to joke that they just showed up one day and never left".

My brother let out a small laugh "you and him always had this amazing bond; he was always there for you no matter what. Letty used to joke that the two of you would end up getting married one day".

Taking the picture from my brother's hand, I noticed his eyes had become misty, and his voice tightened. "Dom-" I swallowed hard when I saw him brushing his eyes slightly "-what happened to them?" I knew from his body language alone that it wasn't anything good.

"Jesse was murdered in a drive-by. You were only 17 and saw everything. Not my best moment as a protector, I'll admit," I gulped at his words, thinking of teenage me watching someone shot dead in front of me "it was my fault he died."

"We always did the things we thought were for the best; we were young and stupid. I had pissed off some bad people, and Jesse just got caught in the middle of it all".

Dom sniffed as he tried not to cry. "Vince died a few years ago. I never got the chance to tell him you were alive. He was broken when he heard you were-" I held my hand on top of his "- I guess we all carried the same guilt for leaving you."

"I'm not sure where Leon is; he left not long before Jesse died, and we all went our separate ways. He still watches out for us" I frown but didn't say anything as my brother leaned back against the side of my bed "he sent flowers for your funeral. I guess the thought of you being gone kept him from coming back".

A somber atmosphere overtook my room as Dom pressed a small kiss to the top of my head that I'm sure was purely instinctual, "but I'm here now, Dom, I'm okay. I'm alive" I blinked rapidly as the small white lie left my lips; unfortunately, my brother knew me better than I thought.

He paused at the door and glanced back as his eyes roamed over my face. "You may be alive, Rosalie, but I know you're not living" I just watched as he sighs sadly, closing the door behind him softly. The weight of my loneliness came back to punch me in the gut as I glanced back down at the picture.

A/N: These first few chapters will seem a little sad at first but that'll even out as the story goes on ♥