[15]

Pulling back into the garage, I sighed as Reiko sat next to me, happily munching on the snacks I had bought her

Pulling back into the garage, I sighed as Reiko sat next to me, happily munching on the snacks I had bought her. I'd set off to go collect the car parts I needed but realized that if the buyer on spoke Japanese, then I would need some help.

Han's eyebrows shot up, seeing the young girl following me out of the car. He wasn't here earlier when I demanded that Hello Kitty gets in the vehicle without actually telling her why.

The fact that she did so was actually quite worrying. Was stranger danger not a thing around here?

"Twinkles, Robin Hood! Go get the stuff out of the car," I call to the two boys who frown at their nicknames. Earl got Robin Hood for his love of tire stealing. Take from the rich and give to the poor.

Eh, I'll work on another one for him, I guess.

The black teen walked toward me with a swagger. "How come we got to do all the heavy lifting? What are we gonna get for it?" I just stared at him until he got the message.

Earl and Reiko laughed at the friend when he met my gaze for a few seconds before turning with his tail between his legs and doing what I had so nicely asked.

"It's nice to see you doing stuff-" Han said with a smile as I sat on the arm of his chair, taking the chips that he was snacking on "-and getting on with the kids. Did you buy Reiko candy?".

The school girl was still nibbling on the things I'd bought as I sighed. "I figured if her mouth were preoccupied, she wouldn't feel the need to talk to me or ask questions."

Han snorted and smirked up at me knowingly "and how did that work out for you?".

Smacking in the chest with the bag, I gave him a semi-annoyed scoff, "Shut up" his laughter could be heard through the garage as I walked to the back room to put my overalls on, ready to start working on the cars.

Pulling up my overalls, I tied the sleeves at my waist and put on a tank top too. I like to feel free and be able to move around a lot when I am fixing up cars.

It was weird to think I had a whole other part of my life where I owned a garage - well, the family garage, as Mia told me. So this was probably like muscle memory for me.

Dom took me to see the garage once, and it was weird seeing people who knew me as 'boss.' He also showed me the

I learned so many things that day besides being a fantastic mechanic. I was great at filing my paperwork, everyone loved coming to me with their cars, and that tuna sandwiches were crappy.

Moving to walk over to the door, I stopped before actually leaving the room. Turning to glance over my shoulder, I sighed and took out my laptop from my bag.

I told myself I wouldn't do this, that I would try to continue with my life and look after myself first. Typing quickly, I bit my cheek, knowing I won't find anything; Deckard and Owen were like ghosts.

It had been a while since I had nightmares, but that didn't mean that I didn't still think of Owen. I had my contacts still looking for any information they could find but let's face it if I can't find them, then no one will.

"Rose?" A timid voice called through the door, shocking me from the sad silence I had put myself in. Picking the laptop off my lap, I placed it on the bed as I walked to my door.

Cracking it open, I schooled my expression, "What's up, Hello Kitty?" seeing her trying to peek around me, I stepped forward, closing the door behind me.

These kids and their curiosity.

"I uh- just wanted to say thank you for my candy?" her voice made me frown. It was like she was confused about her words. Gazing past her, I saw Han smirking behind his hand.

That asshole must have put her up to this. No wonder she looked confused and worried.

Glancing back at the school girl, I leveled her with a look, "Don't you have some homework to do?" she nodded quickly and almost ran away before my voice made her falter, "and you're welcome."

Seeing the surprise seep into her expression, I quickly walked over to the cars that Han had put up on the lifts. Ignoring the feeling of his gaze on my back, I got to work, using the mantra that I came to Japan with.

I'm not here to make friends, and it's better to keep people far away.

The garage had gone quiet as the sky outside had gone from a soft blue to an array of pastel pinks, blues, and periwinkle as the sun had begun to set.

The nightlife was beginning to pick up, and I could hear the revving of car engines and music thumping from the nightclub next door and the car stereos outside.

I disregarded all the looks I was getting from the people coming past the garage to go to the club. Han had already left to do whatever it was he did, and I wasn't in the mood to talk to strangers.

"Good night," Twinkie shouted, waving over his shoulder as he and Earl walked over to the monstrous thing he calls his car. Giving them a half-assed grunt, I waved them off.

"I'm sorry we couldn't do our Japanse lesson today. My mom wants me to be home for once," Reiko says as she loiters by the side of the car I was working on.

I had moved the car lower so I could fix up the engine that I had newly replaced. Being thorough was my thing. My family and I believed if you were nice to your vehicle, then it would repay you in kind.

"Don't worry about it. Most people speak English here too. I'm sure I'll live," I told her seriously, not being sarcastic for once. She was upset about having to go home, but that was up to her parents to talk with her about, not me.

"I really was grateful for the candy too, and I just wanted to say I liked hanging out, even if it was only for a while. Here this is for you" Hearing her put something down, I ignored it and waited for the sound of her walking away.

I watched through the corner of my eye as she weaved through everyone outside before getting into the Hulk car before glancing down and seeing the unopened packet of Pocky she had left for me.

A small smile grew on my lips as I picked up the box and opened it, munching on a few of the sticks. I couldn't help but think she was a good kid.

That puts me in an awful position, I didn't want her to get ruined by me, but at the same time, I could tell that my harshness would only hurt her in the long run.

God, why couldn't she be more like Twinkie and Earl?

Sure, Twinkles flirts a lot, and both of them question me about my life a lot, but neither of them had tried to get through my wall of sarcasm and general coldness.

Worse of all, she was slowly beginning to chip away at my defenses.

Finishing up, I wiped my hands with the cloth feeling happy with the progress I had made today. Han and I had both worked on the Nissan Silvia together before he left.

Brushing the sweat from my brow, I walked into my small room and immediately dropped the rag I was holding.

I forgot to shut down my laptop earlier, and from the looks of it, the person who had been trying to hack me since leaving America finally got through all my firewalls.

Panic rose in my throat, and I felt dizzy. I had made a lot of enemies in my time with Owen and now whoever was looking for me knew where to start looking.

Burnout | Fast and Furious | Book 3On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara