The last day

I sat in a cold chair. In front of me was a man in his mid-thirties, and in between us was a mahogany desk. The man's name was Keishin Ukai, and he was explaining to me the sudden bankruptcy of the shop. It would be open for a month or two more, tops, then it would shut down.

"How much money would you need?" I was hoping for a smallish amount, that I could maybe pull out of my savings.

"We need twenty-five thousand dollars."

There goes that idea. I only had a couple hundred bucks left, since travel expenses went a little over budget.

"Is there any way I can help? I can do work here, and any pay I make could go to the shop."

"It wouldn't be enough."

"May I go talk to the people I brought with me?"

"Sure."

I ran outside to see Sawamura and Tadashi talking to the orangette. I turn to the boy. "Is there any way that six people could make..."

I counted on my fingers.

"Like, two thousand and fifty dollars a month?"

"I think...? I don't know, I work at a coffee shop so I can help with the rent of this place. That might bring it down a very small amount."

"Hmm."

"But you did that equation fast, maybe you should be a substitute teacher for math or something."

"You know, that's not a bad idea. Do you go to school?"

"Oh, god. I know I'm short, but I'm twenty, okay?!"

"Sorry! Sorry! Did you used to go to school here?"

"Yeah, I did?"

"Can you tell me what some of them are called, uh..."

"Hinata."

"Hinata-kun?"

"Just Hinata's fine."

"Hinata, then?"

"Yeah. Lemme tell you-"

I grabbed a pen and paper and wrote down the names of the schools, and Hinata's phone number, so that he could help us around the area. I went back in to talk with Ukai after giving all the info to Sawamura. I trust him to keep it safe. I also tell Tadashi to tell the others to start looking for a job. I know just being a sub probably won't be enough to save the place, so maybe I can score a job as a barista as well. I did do very well in my last coffee shop job, so it should help on a resume. All the possibilities whirl through my brain as I go back to talk to him.

"Look kid, I'm sorry, but there's nothing you can do! This shop is closing down, and nothing can stop it."

"I know, but I have to try! I'm lucky," I said, "But not everybody has a home to go back to if this place closes down. I have to use my privilege to help you, and anyone who needs you."

There was a silence, and then he stood up, sighed, and extended his hand. I took it, and we shook. 

"I'll give you six three apartments, and some contacts from others who came through here. Hopefully, they can help, too, but I think it'll be up to you to convince them."

"Thank you."

"No. Thank you. Now go kick some ass out there in your new life."

"I will. Don't worry."

I walked out the door, with my hopes higher, but my shoulders lower. This would be hard, but I could do it. I had to do it. Besides, I had help. I was able-bodied, and experienced.

What could go wrong?