Back on the road

We got to know each other a little more thoroughly after that. I learned that Ennoshita loves punk rock,  Tanaka wants a motorcycle license, Tsukishima is a boss at checkers, and Tadashi can slay on the saxophone. I already knew the things about Sawamura, but it was still fun to hear him rant about how stupid it was to bike without using your hands, before I reminded him why he got that little scar on his upper arm. He complains (obviously), so I shut him up by giving him a peck on the cheek, but he shoved my face back in front of the wheel because he didn't want to die in a car wreck.

Fair enough, I guess.

We stop for lunch at a random place, where takeout is ordered and I somehow manage to kick Sawamura in the face while climbing into the backseat. I have to hide my laughter while he yells at me, but after a few minutes I do finally get to the trunk, my original goal, and eat my food. No one takes my food. Sawamura knows than more than anyone else who's here in this gas-guzzling excuse of a car.

"So," I mumble through my food, "We'll probably spend one or two days more on the road, and then we'll arrive at Sakanoshita, which, according to my research, will allow us to stay in the residence for up to two weeks, unless otherwise stated, and an almost 100 percent job guarantee."

"So we'll probably live in a motel for a while until we find an apartment."

"But once we get there, life will be better. I just know it."

At the time, the words coming out of my mouth felt sensible, and correct, even. 

Once we were driving again, Sawamura was at the wheel. Even though I'd offered, he'd insisted, probably because he still thought I was an idiot, which wasn't wrong, in his defense. But I'm twenty-three, and who isn't an idiot at twenty-three? I bet he's just jealous because he's half a year younger than me. I'd call it sibling jealousy, but that's gross, because we're dating. And because he's an only child, so his world would flip upside down (because it hasn't already), he'd question his very existence (even though he already has, multiple times), and he'd be a stressed, depressed, mess.

Hey, that rhymes!

It felt nice to finally get to know everyone a little better, and it was also nice that once people learned more about Tanaka, they gradually stopped making the banana man joke.

"Okay, Banana man!"

I stand corrected.

Out of all of us, Tsukishima talks the least. It's not a bad thing, I guess, and Tadashi did say it was because he has really bad anxiety, but I truly do wish that he'd at least join in on our conversations. He only speaks when spoken to. I'd be annoyed, but frankly, I don't have the energy. I've spent so much time stressing over how to get to our destination, but now that we're almost there, my nerves are gone.

Whatever happens will happen, and I'll just take it as it comes.