Use my name

I feel stuck. Trapped.

Sugawara Koushi, they call me. They use my name without ever trying to see the person behind it.

After all, it is just a name.

Right?

It doesn't define me, it doesn't change who I am.

But for some reason...

For some reason, this just doesn't feel right to me. I don't feel right. My name just doesn't sound right. To me, anyway. Hearing it come from their lips makes me want to scream.

They use my name without learning who I am.

Believe me, I tried.

I opened up. It slammed doors in my face. So now I keep secrets. I reached to the fire for warmth, and I got burned.

So now I don't reach anymore.

But someone reached out to me.

His name.

His name, I dare not use without knowing him thoroughly. I'm not a hypocrite. But I know him. I know him well.

He's Daichi Sawamura.

He's the person that convinced me to open up. He's the person that showed me his true colors, and in turn, unlocked mine.

But they don't like it.

We can't hold hands.

We can't kiss.

We'll be shunned if we do.

But I found a place.

I found a place where we can be alone.

Together.

I've been saving up all my part-time job paychecks for about a year now.

They banned him from seeing me, but that doesn't stop us, I think as I throw a pebble at his window. I see his head poke out. He silently holds a finger to his lips and I see his window slide shut. A few moments later, the front door to his house opens and shuts. He runs to me, and we embrace.

"Hi," I whisper, a little breathlessly.

"Hi," Sawamura says.

After we share a little kiss, I bring him to my car. I worked my ass off for it, saving my money and working odd jobs on top of my part-time at a coffee shop. It was old and beat-up, but it was mine. I owned it.

Other than insurance, of course. But that doesn't count.

Before I came, I filled up the entire tank.

Sawamura had a bag packed.

Because we planned to run away. Far away.

I had planned this with my parents, so they knew that I would be gone.

We lived in Fukuoka, just over 1025 miles away from the sanctuary that I'd planned to go to.

A little store in the Tohoku reigon of Miyagi called Sakanoshita store, owned by Keishin Ukai. It was an LGBT friendly space he had made to help all kinds of misfits.

Like me and Sawamura.

It was only 1000 miles.

How bad could it be?