One more day

I was getting more and more excited as we got loser and closer to the Sakanoshita store. In a day, just a single day, my whole life was gonna change. After I went to Sakanoshita, my life would be better! I'd have a job, and an apartment with Sawamura, and maybe every Friday me and all the boys could have a barbecue. Wishful thinking, I know. Tsukishima would never agree to come. One thing was for sure, though.

Once we got there, my whole life would change.

"Hey Tadashi," I ask, "There's something I've been wondering for the longest time. You said you got kicked out of your apartment and didn't have a single other contact in your phone, right?"

He visibly tensed up.

"Yes."

"But wouldn't you at least have your parents? And excuse me for assuming, but I feel like even with anxiety, you'd at least have some contacts, since one of you had a job."

"I, uh..."

"Well..?

"I just broke my phone so I had to get a new one and no one really likes Tsukki, so..."

"Shut up, Tadashi."

"Sorry, Tsukki."

I knew it was a lie, but I didn't pry. This is obviously not a good thing that he did, and I couldn't really afford to be on bad terms with Tadashi right now.

I didn't talk much for the rest of the journey, partially because I was thinking and partially because I was scared of bursting into tears or throwing up. Or both. It was scary. I was about to start a whole new chapter of my life. Sawamura was at the wheel. He was always better under pressure. I could focus if need be, but it would be taxing.

"Hey Suga-san," Tanaka shouted from behind me, "What's one of your favorite things in the world?"

"Clackity keyboards. You know, the ones that make that beautiful clicking noise when you type."

"Oh my god YES!"

I winced and covered my ears. Without taking his eyes of the road, Sawamura told Tanaka to quiet down and calmed me down like it was no big deal. Holy shit, I love this man. Maybe one day we can get married. I think I'd like to spend he rest of my life with him. After all, gay marriage was legalized a few years ago. I'd have liked it to have been legal since marriage was a thing, but it's better than nothing, I guess. At least now I have the option to, if Sawamura would say yes. Because I'd totally propose to him first.

After what felt like years, I saw a small store in the distance labeled Sakanoshita Market.

This is it. This is where my life really begins. Right here, right now, today. Everyone got out of the car and I saw a handwritten sign that I can't read. I waved Tadashi over, and he couldn't read it either. The handwriting was all weird, and there were blotches all over the ink, as if the person writing it had been crying. I saw someone come out, a boy with orange hair and a shorter stature. I talked to him.

"Excuse me, do you know where the owner of this store is?"

He looked at me, then wiped at his eyes. I could see tears on his hands.

"My uncle owns the place. Or he used to."

My heart dropped into my stomach.

"What do you mean?" I asked, in hopes that my fear wasn't apparent in my face.

"I don't know," he said, "But I think the shop's closing down."