Held together by a thread

Ennoshita and Tanaka were working on selling their stuff, so the apartment was a little cluttered. Boxes were everywhere, but little by little everything was clearing out. Finally. Me and Sawamura loved staying with the two, but neither of them had a job, Sawamura because his parents wouldn't let him and me because I quit to run away with him. And, since Ennoshita and Tanaka had quit, they didn't have any income.

Living on savings.

For now.

Once we get to Sakanoshita, we will be back on our feet. That was a promise, from the storeowner, Keishin Ukai. A job and a place to stay. My parents were only okay with me running away with Sawamura if it was to that store, or one like it. But there isn't another one like it, not here in Japan. So to there we travel, I guess.

As the clutter slowly began to disappear, I noticed how empty Tanaka and Ennoshita's apartment looked without it. It had lost its homey feel. Which made sense, to be honest.

For them, it didn't feel like home anymore.

It was weird. I hadn't known these people for more than two weeks, but they already felt like family. I had been nervous about leaving to go to Miyagi at first, but now...

I wasn't so scared anymore.

Our very last night in this place soon arrived. I hadn't expected it to come so fast, if I was honest with myself. I almost wasn't ready to leave. I almost wanted to stay.

Almost. 

We decided to eat out. Splurge a little on some good old MOS burger. One of my favorite places to go as a little kid, and still one of my favorites now. I got what I usually get, a burger loaded with toppings, but as I sat down I realized I was missing something. I turned to Sawamura.

"I'm gonna be right back," I said, "I just need to get my wallet from the car."

He gave me a thumbs up and I slipped out of the restaurant.

Paying for our food was probably pretty important.

As I was walking back, I noticed a small figure making noises that sounded oddly like crying. I looked to my left.

There was a person on the ground who was sobbing.

I immediately crouched down and looked at them.

"Hey," I whispered, "Are you okay?"

There was a sniff, then a head shake.

"Do you wanna tell me your name?"

"T-Tadashi."

"Okay Tadashi, I have a few friends back at the restaurant I'm eating at, would you like to come in with me, and maybe I can call someone for you? I left my phone in there."

Tadashi nodded, and I helped him up. We walked inside together and I pulled Sawamura aside. He looked at me questioningly. After a few minutes of explanation, he nodded and turned to Tadashi.

"Are you allergic to anything?"

"Fish."

"Fish?"

"Fish."

"Okay."

He flagged down a waiter and soon Tadashi was nibbling on a burger and some soggy fries. I gave him my phone, and he used it to text his roommate, who would come pick him up and walk him home.

"He'll be here soon," Tadashi said, "Thank you."

Before he left, he put his number in my phone, just in case he needed me.