the one with all the poker

third person pov

the early morning rays spun shards of light off the window in the alleys of new york, guiding gianna as she wandered. it wasn't early, but it was that time of day that was most quiet despite it being new york. gianna sighs deeply, hands in pocket as she goes past a vet, a sign in the window catching her eye. 

'now hiring: wildlife vet'

a bright smile spreads across gianna's lips as she pushes the door open, approaching the front desk quietly. 

"hi, how can i help?" 

"i was just wondering about your wildlife vet position." gianna replies, eyeing the woman across from her. 

"here, fill this out and come back for an interview this afternoon." the woman says, handing her a form. 

"thanks." gianna smiles, taking the paper and turning to walk out of the door. 

"oh! bring any credentials!" gianna nods in response before stepping out of the door and into the brisk air, fingers gently wrapped around the paper in her hands. 

*

"hey guys." monica smiles, entering central perk beside phoebe. ross and chandler smile from the table they were sitting at, leaving the couch for the other girls. 

"hey." 

"hey...hi, ladies...uh, can i get you anything?" rachel stammers, gingerly making her way over to monica and phoebe. "did you bring the mail?" she asks quietly and phoebe nods. 

"lots of responses." monica replies with a smile and the girls begin to talk about the responses received to rachel's resume handout. at the table at the window, chandler and ross talk, occasionally glancing over at the girls. there was a pause as the front door swings open, revealing a flushed gianna, a shaky breathe leaving her lips as the smile remains from her walk. 

"hey gianna." ross smiles, watching chandler turn to look at her quickly. gianna throws a smile over her shoulder as she hangs her coat on the coat hook before making her way over to the boys. as she steps towards them, she notices there are no seats left and a frown appears on her lips. 

"hey guys, where am i going to sit, there are no chairs left.." she mutters, eyes glancing around the space. 

"free seat right here milady." chandler jokes, gesturing his hands. there was a slight smirk on his lips and ross' eyes widen. gianna glances to chandler, her heart beating hard and fast before she takes a jump. 

"thanks." she replies quickly before taking the seat, her arms winding around his neck as she makes herself comfortable. chandler freezes, not exactly expecting her to take his lap offering. ross feels a smirk rise to his lips as he watches the pair, his eyes following chandler's nervous hands land around gianna - one around her waist, the other resting neatly above her knee. gianna smiles softly, noticing chandler become flustered as her fingers brush the hair from his eyes. "so what were you guys talking about?" 

"oh, i'm not going out with linda again." ross replies and chandler shakes his head, placing it gently against gianna's shoulder. 

"you know, i can't believe you. linda is so great! why won't you go out with her again?" chandler asks, keeping his head placed inside gianna's shoulder. 

"no, it's not just that. it's just - i want someone who...who does something for me, y'know? who gets my heart pounding, who...who...makes me, uh..." ross trails off, and gianna follows his gaze to rachel laughing with monica and phoebe. 

"...little play this with yarn?" chandler teases, watching ross fawn over rachel. 

"what?" 

"could you want her more?" gianna laughs, gently shoving ross' knee.