2.5

{938 words}

[Recap]

We open presents and then go to sleep that night. I am thankful for Gilbert, without him I don't know how I would have survived the night.

('̀-'́)

[At Avonlea School a couple days later]

[Y/n's POV]

Gilbert said he had to talk to Mr.Phillips this morning when we were on our way to school. He didn't say what it was about though and I never asked.

"I have a strong work ethic, sir, and I've chosen my vocation. Medical school, sir. I know it's for me." Gilbert tells Mr. Phillips, although he doesn't look very interested in the conversation.

"Riveting." Mr. Phillips says.

"So I was hoping you could offer me some extra help outside of class, so that I can catch up, make up for the time that I missed." Gilbert pauses and turns to see what Mr. Phillips is looking at, I turn too and I notice a smiling Prissy but as she notices Gilbert's stare she stops smiling and looks away. There is rumors of Mr. Phillips and Prissy having a "Thing".

It could also be an opportunity to prove wrong all those who think you don't care all that much about your teaching. I'm only asking for a small portion of your time, sir." Gilbert continues.

Mr. Phillips looks annoyed. "Is that all? My time? Tell me, should your father simply give his crops away because someone wants them? Feels he deserves them? Hmm? Hmm? He should not. Time is money, Mr. Blythe." He says. As soon as he brings up Gilbert's father my heart sinks.

"My father's dead, sir." Gilbert says earning some gasps and everyone's eyes on them. I gulp and look back at Gilbert seeing if he's okay.

"Yes. Well... the metaphor still plays." Mr. Phillips says sternly.

Gilbert walks back to his desk and as soon as he sits down he just looks straight at his books. I keep my eyes on him until Mr. Phillips interrupts.

"Y/n come to the board, you can catch up on your own time. Alright, bright little minds, open your readers. Let's pick up from where we last left off." Mr. Phillips says. I walk up to the board to do my daily writings. It's been a while and I'm still doing this- if this doesn't end and I have to do it again on the next school day, I'm simply not doing it.

[After school]

I'm waiting at the top of the steps outside the school for Gilbert. Shortly after the door opens. I turn my head hoping to see Gilbert but it's just Billy so I turn back around. Just as I do I'm suddenly pushed forward and I immediately hit the floor, thankfully I land on the floor and not the stairs.. well almost, my legs fell on the stairs.. but my torso landed on the ground.. that still hurt, I try getting up as I hear Billy laughing as he walks away. I can't get up. It's like my legs are useless! Well my right one is, the left one I can kind of move. Just as I sit up, the door opens again and I see Gilbert this time, I feel relieved!

"Woah what happened to you?" Gilbert says as he gets down to help me stand.

"Yeah... Just clumsy!" I lie, he already has issues with Billy, I don't wanna create anymore.

"You sure? This doesn't seem like clumsiness, it seems like you were pushed or something. Can you walk?" He says standing me up.

"I think so" I say as he lets go off me and I start falling to the side, he grabs my waist before I can fall.

"Thanks" I say grabbing a hold of Gilbert so I don't fall again.

"Well I mean I could carry you home or would you rather limp and hang on to me as we walk?" Gilbert asks.

"Oh no suddenly both my legs are broken!" I say dramatically. "Sorry don't think I can even walk anymore!"

Gilbert just starts chuckling as he picks me up Bridal style. When we get to my house he sits me down on the bench on my porch since we didn't talk much on the way home.

"So I've been meaning to ask but never did but why do you have to write 'I will not raise my voice at adults' on the board every morning?" Gilbert asks as he sets his stuff down.

"Oh haha that.. umm I kind or raised my voice at Mr. Phillips one day. For good reason though! He was picking on Cole and it wasn't right so I guess I got carried away.." I explain to him, he just smiles and before I know it his lips touch mine. When he pulls away he just smiles to himself and looks at the trees in my front yard.

"Gilbert?" He turns to me and so I continue. "What are we?"

He looks to me and opens his mouth but then Tyler opens the front door before he can talk.

"Oh! There you are Y/n. Mom sent me to find you. She was worried since it was getting late but I'll tell her I found you.

"Well I guess I should go!" Gilbert says awkwardly before looking in a different direction.

"Yeah thanks for the help" I say as I try to make my way to the door, I open it and call for Tyler so he can help me inside.

"Yeah uhh no problem, See you at school!" He turns around and leaves just like that. He never answered my question.

My winter break ended and now I'm back doing online school so I might not update everyday like I usually do but I will make sure to update as much as I can!