3.6

{845 words}

[Recap]
Maybe we aren't meant for each other after all..
___________________________________

[Y/n's house]

[Y/n's POV]
As I wake up, I check the time to see it's only 8am. It's Saturday. I don't have any plans. Tyler is leaving to go with his friends at 10:30. Mother is going to have Tea with Diana's parents. Diana isn't even gonna be there, she's going to Anne's house. So I have nothing to do.

I think back to the time before Gilbert left to take his father to look at the mountains.

[Flashback]
"Gilbert, give me my books back!" I say at Gilbert outside of school.

"Nope, not until you stop being upset with me. I didn't even do anything." He says as he smiles.

"You didn't do anything?" I ask him as he shakes his head no still smiling, "you literally came to my house and ate all my cookies. And then went home."

"Exactly, I didn't do anything, I just wanted a snack" he says as he shrugs his shoulders. "So we good now? You want your books right? Mr. Phillips will be quite angry if you don't have them" he says smiling again.

"Fine, we're good! Now give me then back!" I say.

"Alright alright, your cute when your angry" he says as he gives me my book back smiling and walks away. I stand there with flustered cheeks before going back into school.

[Flashback over]

I miss us. What happened. How did we get in this spot. I think as I put my hands through my hair. You know what I'm gonna fix this. Whatever 'this' is. I need to.

Though it is early, I know Gilbert is awake, even on weekends he wakes up super early. I quickly get dressed and do my hair before walking to his house.

Once I reach his house I knock on the door and he opens it. I watch his expression switch from blank to confusion.

"Y/n? What are you doing here?" Gilbert asks confused. His hair is messy, I'm guessing he woke up a while ago.

"Um May I speak with you? Please." I ask.

"Sure, would you like to come in? Or do you want to talk outside?" Gilbert asks.

"Outside" I say as Gilbert nods his head and grabs his coat and slips on some shoes.

We walk outside and to a tree. I lay down a blanket to sit on. He smiles slightly as I lay it down.

"So what did you need to talk about?" He asks as I hand him a cookie.

"Um What happened?" I ask.

"What do you mean?"

"Us. What happened. We used to be so close and now? We barely even look at each other." I ask.

"I-" he begins as he scratches his neck.

"I miss being able to just hang out with you. Laughing with you, walking with you, pretending to read as you read books in my garden. Just us messing around, hanging out." I say as I look at him.

"I guess we just grew up and people change." He says shrugging his shoulders.

"Clearly" I whisper quietly enough so he doesn't hear.

"I guess I miss us too." He says looking at the grass, I smile slightly.

"I stay up sometimes, thinking about what went wrong. What I could've done differently, what you could've done differently. I cry too, but not that much anymore" I say looking at the sun, I can tell he's looking at me, "How did things get so messed up?"

"I don't know" Gilbert says as I turn my head to look at him.

"When you left me, I always thought you'd come back, tell me all you found was heartbreak and misery. It's hard for me to say but I'm jealous of the way your happy without me. You're happy without me.."

"Y/n-"

"Ay! Blythe! You out here?!" I hear Bash yell.

"Well, guess you have to go." I say as I stand up and Gilbert does too.

"Yeah, but I'll see you at the fair. Thanks for coming by, I missed you."

"See you at the fair!" I respond as he walks away. So much for trying to 'fix us'.

[Later that night]

I stay up in bed still thinking. It's already late but my mind drifts off. It goes to Gilbert. So much has happened to drift us apart. I can't help but wonder if it would be different if Anne never came. Everything changed once she got here. For better and for worse. I look at the clock again and turn off my light.

At least we can hopefully hang out at the fair. Maybe our relationship is fixable.

Maybe we are meant for each other. I believe so.. but does he think the same?

(Also if your reading this, Happy Valentine's Day! This is kind of a filler chapter but I got kind of bored, also if you found the song lyric in this chapter, comment the song name, I wanna see if anyone else knows it)