Wattpad Original
There are 11 more free parts

Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Jessica's POV

Aaron Latsis was a very terrible man.

Yeah, I made a mistake and mistook him for my husband. And I hated myself for being so stupid. What was I thinking? I kissed him right away without asking who he was.

He was surely embarrassed by me, rubbing his lips with his handkerchief like a virus contaminated him and telling me in a nasty arrogant tone, 'It's okay, as long as it won't happen again.'

The nerve of the guy, telling me like I had every intention to kiss him again. Over my dead body!

He might have looked like a dashing prince but his attitude sucked. He was too harsh and insensitive. No consideration or whatsoever that I just survived a plane crash. I had memory loss and was still recovering from the trauma, and yet he dropped information like a bomb!

"Where's my husband?"

"Cold in his grave."

That was so savage of him.

I had memory loss but I could still remember how to act as a human. The more we talked, the more he was showing his animosity towards me.

"Stop looking at me with wounded eyes, Jessica, it won't work on me. If you really don't remember what I said on the phone, then I'll repeat it to you. Do not disappoint my mother, or else you're not getting any money from me anymore, not even a single cent!"

I was caught by surprise. He was glaring at me angrily like I was a threat to his family.

"I wouldn't do that. I don't think I like to hurt or disappoint people," I answered, feeling more confused and insulted by his accusation. "About money, you really need not worry. I swear, I won't ask anything from you. I can find a decent job. Though I have memory loss, I'm not an imbecile. I can read and write. Just give me a few months, and I'll pay you the hospital bills and all miscellaneous expenses you incurred, including the interest."

The corner of his lips twisted nastily. "Say that to my mother, maybe you can convince her with your lame acting. You severely hurt our family already and I won't tolerate your bad attitude anymore. I'll be watching you, Jessica, so be very careful with your actions, or else I'll make your life so miserable that you'll wish you did not survive in that damn plane."

Pain knotted in my chest as I stared at him in shock. "What did I do?"

"Still in denial, huh?" He let out a nasty smile, then said, "I talked to Dr. Hansen. He said that all you need is a lot of rest to recover. There's no reason for you to stay here in the hospital when you can do it at home. I'll send someone to pick you up tomorrow morning. Be ready at ten."

He did not wait for me to reply. He just turned around and left. I was left standing in the middle of the room and staring at the door.

What an obnoxious, arrogant man. He said we'd just met for the first time and he was showing his intense hate for me already. He also doubted my memory loss, saying that I was only acting.

My god, I hope I won't ever see him again. The thought that someone else would pick me up tomorrow was a relief already.

I went back to bed and tried very hard to remember what happened in the past, but there was nothing.

Why does Aaron Latsis hate me? Do other members of the Latsis family hate me too? What did I do? Am I really an awful person? What about my husband? Did he hate me too? Where's my biological family?"

Too many questions remained a mystery. I felt like I was back in my mother's womb, floating and staring at the blank space. Who am I?

The following morning, a woman named Kora, one of the staff of the Latsis mansion arrived. She brought me a parcel of clothes - jeans, underwear, shirt, sweater and jacket. There was also a box of fashionable black boots.

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Latsis, they're all so big." Kora looked at me with dismay when I wore the clothes. "Will you be okay with it? I can ask someone in the mansion to send you your size."

"No, it doesn't matter, as long as it's comfortable and covers me from the cold." I smiled at her, to assure her that there was nothing to worry about.

She smiled back, then said, "You're prettier in person, Mrs. Latsis. No wonder Mr. Troy Latsis was so smitten with you."

"Thanks, Kora, I'm flattered. Just call me Jessica."

"No-no. That's not appropriate," she shook her head, "the staff are not allowed to call our employers by their first names. It's against our rule book."

"Really? That sounds weird. But I'm not one of your employers. I'm only here for a visit."

"You're still a Latsis, ma'am, you're a member of the family. I also heard that you won't be leaving New Zealand until your memory is back."

I clicked my tongue in frustration. "I hope it will be sooner. So you knew my husband?"

"Of course. I've been working in the mansion for two years already."

I was hopeful that Kora could tell me everything that I needed to know about my husband and the Latsis family. I could not wait to know what really happened in the past, and why Aaron Latsis hated me so much.

"Can I ask you something, Kora?"

"What is it, Mrs. Latsis?" Her head jerked up.

"Can you tell me about Troy? Everything you know about him?"

She looked at me, her eyes were sympathetic. "I'm sorry, ma'am. It's not my place to discuss the family. It's in the rule book."

"Of course. The rule book." I heaved a long sigh, feeling disappointed.

Ari, a security guard of the Latsis family, entered the room and informed me that we were ready to leave the hospital. It felt strange getting out of the room. I had ambivalent feelings: fear, nervousness and excitement for what would lay ahead of me.

Will I be happy once I'll find out who I am? Or will I be miserable because Aaron Latsis is right that I'm a bad person?

I was lost in my own thoughts and not looking where I was going. We were in the lobby when someone suddenly bumped into me.

A man.

He gripped my arm firmly and held my eyes. It seemed like he wanted to say something to me but could not. His head was covered with a bonnet, but his gray hair was visible at the sides of his face. He looked very familiar, but I could not place in my brain who he was.

"Hey! Let go," Ari said in a loud voice behind me.

"Sorry," the man murmured, then turned away.

A beautiful black car pulled outside the hospital and Ari opened the door for me. When I got in, I saw the man again through the window, never taking his eyes off me until the car pulled away.

Who is he? Does he know me?