Wattpad Original
There are 12 more free parts

Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Aaron's POV

I checked the time on my watch. Ten minutes and the nurse who informed Jessica of my visit hadn't come back yet.

I looked at the bouquet of flowers I brought. It was Mom who insisted when she called me last night to bring flowers.

"It's the least that we can do. Your dad and I can't visit her until the event is done." My mom indicated the one week Cattle and Sheep Farming Festival in Wellington that they organized and sponsored.

"Okay. I'll have a flower shop deliver her flowers tomorrow morning."

"No way. Bringing her flowers personally would be a nicer gesture," she said firmly.

To cut the argument, I agreed. I asked my secretary to get me flowers, and unfortunately she assumed it was for a lover. I was shocked when she handed me a bouquet of a dozen red roses before I left the office.

Doctor Hansen had called me earlier and updated me on Jessica's progress. Except for her temporary memory loss due to concussion, she was recovering well. All she needed was a lot of rest.

"Two minutes more, and I'm out of here." I was standing in the hallway near the nurses station, and getting so impatient.

What took her so long? Getting her hair and makeup done? What the hell! I have an important business meeting after this.

The nurse arrived and smiled at me.

"She's ready to see you, sir."

The moment I entered the room, I saw Jessica sitting on bed and looking at me. Her face looked so pale and bare of any makeup. Her eyes were puffy, obviously from crying, and the thick bandage around her head was gone, showing her long wavy ash blonde hair.

For a minute, I was deceived. She looked so innocent like an angel, when in fact, she's the gold digger that my brother married.

I noticed she looked so young in person, like eighteen or twenty when she was already twenty eight years old, five years older than Troy. Well, she can buy a new face using all the money I sent her.

"Hello, Jessica," I greeted her.

I was so surprised when she got out of bed and ran towards me. I gasped and the bouquet of flowers I was holding loosened from my hand and fell on the floor.

I was supposed to push her, not letting her touch me, but when I heard her cry, I lifted her face and met her wounded eyes.

I was about to tell her to stop the act of being nice, because she could not fool me, when suddenly... her face came nearer and kissed me.

What the hell!

I held her arms, and stopped her.

"That kind of greeting doesn't work here in New Zealand. Handshakes or a brief hug and saying Kia Ora would do fine."

Her eyes grew big as she stared at me blankly.

"You're not my husband?"

Husband?! Who gave her the idea that I'm her husband?

"No," I answered curtly.

You wish, Jessica. I would be the last person in this world to ever ask your hand for marriage.

"I'm so sorry, I thought you were my husband. I... I don't recognize you. I have a memory loss, that's why I can't remember your face."

"Either way, you won't recognize me. It's our first time meeting in person, though we talked a few times on the phone. By the way, I'm Aaron Latsis, your brother-in-law," I introduced myself to her, trying my best to be civil, for now.

Dr. Hansen said that she had memory loss. I doubted that. Let's see how long she could keep up with her act. It would not take long before this greedy woman would show her true colors.

"Oh my god, I kissed my brother-in-law! I swear it was an honest mistake. I hope you'll forgive me," she gasped and covered her mouth.

Touche. For all I knew, she did it on purpose.

"It's okay, as long as it won't happen again." I took a handkerchief from my pocket and wiped my lips, removing all the taste of her.

Her face turned bright red as she observed me.

I picked the bouquet of roses from the floor and gave it to her. "This is from my mother. She's in Wellington right now with my father. They'll see you this weekend."

She looked at the flowers and said, "Thank you, they're so beautiful. But, what about my husband? Why isn't he here?"

"You really don't remember, Jessica?" I let out a nasty laugh, as her eyebrows furrowed.

"No." Her wounded eyes were back again, looking at me and begging for sympathy. "I can't even remember his name and his face."

"His name is Troy."

"Troy?" She shook her head, "I don't really remember the name. Where is he now?"

"Cold in his grave."

Her confused expression turned into shock. "You mean... he's dead? I thought he was not with me in the plane."

"He died four months ago in a helicopter accident in Florida."

"Oh my god!" she exclaimed. "That's so terrible. It must be hard for me then, and for you and your family to take it all in."

"Exactly. We're still grieving for our loss, especially my mother. She invited you here to New Zealand to visit us. It's your first time meeting Troy's family, so I'm expecting you to be on your best behaviour."

"What do you mean?" Her green eyes suddenly looked so confused.

Dammit! I did not like her to look at me like that. Why is it easier to communicate with her on the phone, rather than in person?

"Stop looking at me with wounded eyes, Jessica, it won't work on me. If you really don't remember what I said on the phone, then I'll repeat it to you. Do not disappoint my mother, or else you're not getting money from me anymore, not even a single cent!"