Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Aaron's POV

"Your mother is with Jessica right now in Auckland Central, she took her shopping," Dad said after he hung up his phone and back focused on his driving.

"Good. I asked mom this morning to take Jessica shopping. The airlines could not retrieve her luggage, it was among those that caught fire."

"I'm sure your mother is enjoying her task right now." Dad chuckled. "That's her favorite thing, spending money on shopping."

"And Jessica is getting pampered."

"Of course. She has the right to be. She's your sister."

"Correction dad, sister in-law."

"Whatever. She's part of our family, so we're going to treat her like one. So, be nice to her and treat her like your real sister."

"That's impossible. I still can't forgive her for ruining Troy's life. She encouraged him to do crazy stuff. They hopped from one place to another doing the same thing - drinking, gambling and drugs."

Dad clicked his tongue in disapproval.

"You can't blame her. Troy already did crazy stuff in college. He was too adventurous and confident, and he could not control himself. He allowed himself to get involved with the wrong people."

"If she would have cooperated and told me about their whereabouts, Troy would still be alive right now. I could have easily taken him and brought him to rehab."

"It already happened, and all we can do is try our best to move on. People do crazy things for love, and I'm sure Jessica did it for her great love for Troy. We really don't know the real story. We have to wait until she regains her memories, then she can tell us what really happened."

"That would take ages." I heaved a long sigh. "What if she's only pretending to have amnesia?"

Dad chuckled aloud. "Why would she do that? Come on, son, give her a break. Things are not easy for her. She lost her husband, had a near-death experience and lost her memories. She had enough misery in her life already, so don't add more to it."

At that moment, I wished I could tell Dad the whole truth, especially the real reason why Jessica agreed to come to New Zealand.

The rest of the day, I went to the office and did some paperwork while Dad went to the country club to play golf. It was already five in the afternoon when I went home.

The moment I stepped out of my car, Ari greeted me to report an incident in the house.

"Someone called five times in the house then hung up when answered by the staff. The security located the callers, they were coming from different public phones in Botany Town Centre."

"That's very disturbing."

"Yes, sir." Ari nodded. "The same thing happened last year, when one of the maids broke up with her boyfriend."

"Do you think that could be the same reason?"

"Most probably, sir. I'll have someone investigate the staff."

"Okay do that, and have someone on standby to locate the caller. Warn also the police."

"Yes, sir."

I entered the house and caught a glimpse of Jessica's back. She was wearing a beige sweater and blue jeans that fitted her perfectly. She just passed through the foyer and did not see me. She was obviously going to her room on the other side of the house.

On impulse, I followed her. I had the need to say something to her. Whatever it was, I could come up with one right away when we'd face each other.

Damn it. She was walking too fast and I lost her. I turned a corner and suddenly bumped into someone.

"Are you following me?"

My eyes grew big as I stared at Jessica. She was so small compared to my six foot two height. She probably only stood five four, but the way she looked up at me, she was very intimidating.

"I... I..." I could not form a word. My eyes went to her face, her hair, her overall appearance. "No, I'm not. We're just going in the same direction."

She lifted her chin and squinted her eyes, eyeing me suspiciously, "Hmp. If you say so."

Before she could turn to leave, I said to her, "I see you look different. More human now."

"Thank you for insulting me. I expected that already." She smirked a little.

"You're welcome. I heard you went shopping with Mom. Did you have fun spending her money?"

"I did not ask for it. But don't worry, I had everything in inventory. I'm going to return it all to you intact before I leave. Do you want to see the list now?"

The mention of her leaving made my eyebrows rise. I was not expecting that from her.

"So you're leaving soon?"

"Why? Are you excited to throw a grand farewell party?"

"I wasn't thinking of it, but thank you for giving me the idea."

"Sad for you, you have to wait for a while. Mother asked me to stay for a month."

I chuckled. "So you're calling her Mother now?"

"Of course! Accept it, Brother dear, you can't get rid of me easily." She flipped her hair and walked away from me.

I was not in the mood during dinner.

I was seated beside Jessica, and all throughout dinner I was very conscious of her being near me. I could smell her feminine scent that lingered in my nostrils until I went to bed that night.

Yeah, she looked different after her shopping spree and salon makeover. Her physical features were emphasized. Her long blonde hair looked soft and silky. Her face glowed and radiated. And her lips... I stared at it when she drank from her glass, ate her steak, talked and smiled.

Damn it. I can't stop thinking of that kiss. I can still feel her soft lips against mine.

I became very observant of her. Every little move she made, I noticed. Even every detail of her appearance.

Her white dress fitted her perfectly and emphasized every curve of her body. A glimpse of her cleavage whenever she would bend down a little, a portion of her smooth thighs showed whenever she sat down, and her legs looked so straight and slender with those stiletto heels.

I got irritated just by watching her. She looked like an angel with her big green eyes, and yet, underneath that mask, I knew was an evil witch.