the highway don't care if you're coming home

S A M

"Don't worry, Sam. I'm sure he's okay."

"You're probably right, I'm just worried. I haven't been able to reach him since yesterday morning." Sam looks away, putting his phone back in his pocket. Sam and Eileen had been driving all day and although they were only a couple of hours away from home, they decided to stay the night at a cozy inn. «Let's get some sleep, and then drive back home».

Tomorrow they would drive back home, getting everything ready for the new hunters to move in. They'd sought out the once they knew, and through them, they had found some more. Together they made quite a gang. Six new hunters, six new residents in the Men of Letter bunker. Six new friends, and hopefully sometime in the future, family.

Sam and Eileen had first gone to visit a friend of hers, a 29-year-old hunter, Alexander, who she had met ten years ago, when she helped him with a case, and since then they had become close friends. He grew up in a hunter family, but when his parents retired from hunting, he wanted to continue. When they met Xand, they were introduced to his husband, Leo. Turns out the 27-year-old hunter was an old acquaintance of the Winchester family. John Winchester had been an old friend of Leo's father, and although Leo no longer had a relation to his father, he had been delighted to meet Sam again. They had been living on the road for the past three years, and when they were offered to make the bunker a home-base, they didn't hesitate for a second.

Through Leo, Sam and Eileen got in contact with Taylor and Mathilda, a 31-year-old and 26-year-old hunter from the Apocalypse World, that had to continue hunting when they had come through the rift. Sam doesn't remember meeting them before, but Taylor did look familiar. Mathilda was also a friend of Charlie. They had been more hesitant to the whole bunker, but two days later, they had called Eileen and told them that they would like to join the new hunter network, learning more about this world.

They had been in contact with the son of an old friend of Sam and Dean, Severin. They had known his mother once back in the days, and after she died last year, he had been on his own. He was young, only 22 years old, but a skilled hunter. Dean had helped him out on a case five years ago, and already then, he was skilled. He often lived on the road, and four years ago he had been working a tricky case, where he had met Alexandria. Her family was killed and she never managed to settle after that. When Sev had returned to her town half a year later, she wanted to try hunting, and he'd been teaching Alex the hunter-life since.

Leo, Xand, and Mathilda would be arriving at the bunker in three days, and Taylor, Severin, and Alex would join them the day after. Sam and Eileen had been talking about bringing more hunters, but they knew they had to start small to make things right. They had, however, got the word out to other hunters, about what they wanted to do, and several others were interested in joining them in the future.

Mathilda and Taylor would get their separate room, and the couples Leo and Xand, Severin and Alex, would get one of the bigger rooms. It wasn't really a question about space, because if there was one thing they had in the bunker, it was space. They could probably fit twenty more hunters, even if they all wanted separate rooms, as there was a whole wing of the bunker the Winchester had never used, barley stepping a foot in there. It only needed some cleaning, some more furniture, and whatever decorations and renovations the new residents wanted to make a home.

Sam was still worried about the lack of contact from his brother today, but he had to smile at the thought of what they were going to do. He and Eileen had been talking a lot on the road about what they wanted to do. And he couldn't wait to get started on forming this community, to make life easier for future generations of hunters.

Along with training and helping out the hunters, they would also start uploading and organizing the Men of Letters library to a hunters-only online network, that every hunter would have access to. It would make things easier for many, although Sam knows that some would curse them for «ruining» the business with modern technology and all that. But if it could save lives, Sam didn't care about that because the meaning of the whole hunting business, was just that.